Intense Birdseye and Spruce Build Thread

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Intense Birdseye and Spruce Build Thread

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:46 pm

This is perhaps the most intensely figured set of Birdseye maple I've come across. I can't stop staring at it... :shock:
I'm doing some Arts and Crafts inspired motifs and focusing on ebony to go with the all black Gilbert tuning machines. Another fun project!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Re: Intense Birdseye and Spruce Build Thread

Post by Chris Sobel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:52 pm

I love the title of this thread. When I clicked on it I was not sure if it was an "intense" piece of birdseye or if the build process itself was proving to be an uphil marathon...

That's a killer looking piece! Is it euro or us Birdseye?

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Hard maple from northern Michigan. Good stuff.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

tkoehler1

Post by tkoehler1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 am

Looks... intense! Will all the figuring affect the tone at all? Looking forward to following this build :D

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:39 am

tkoehler1 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 am
Looks... intense! Will all the figuring affect the tone at all? Looking forward to following this build :D
I haven't noticed any particular figure within the same species of wood affecting the tone. What's more important in maple is the density (at least for what I'm going for.) I prefer Eastern hard maple over Big Leaf. The harder maples from Europe are also very nice sounding.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:07 am

Just finishing a Torres copy with birds eye. Nowhere near as intense as that, still attractive enough though. The Torres original has very little birds eye, quite plain. Then again Torres was obviously working with what he could get hold of. I don't think I've ever heard a violin maker claim that figured maple affects the tone. I've heard many who thought the opposite and it's quite obvious that violin makers know a thing or two about maple.
Historicalguitars.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Loving this tribute to nature and craftsmanship! I could be losing it, but I see many faces in this pattern. Anybody else see a baby, a cat, Squidward from SpongeBob? Ok I will stop before I am committed. :lol:

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:50 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:17 pm
Loving this tribute to nature and craftsmanship! I could be losing it, but I see many faces in this pattern. Anybody else see a baby, a cat, Squidward from SpongeBob? Ok I will stop before I am committed. :lol:
Yes, certain sets of wood are like taking a Rorschach test. A couple of years ago I was re-sawing some Claro walnut late at night and I put the bookmatched pieces of wood together and this H.R. Giger looking alien was staring back at me. Sent a shiver down my spine. I'm going to make a tenor uke with it one of these days. I'm expecting it to have magic powers. :lol:

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:44 pm

I agree, that maple is truly stunning! I've spent some time looking at it myself! Very beautiful! :merci:

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:36 pm

I like the idea of Arts and Crafts inspired motifs. Same for the rosette I assume.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:56 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:17 pm
In the first photo there's a pattern that looks exactly like one of the old death masks, almost dead center (no pun etc). The center strip obliterated it. In fact, looking at it again it looks like a life mask of Sibelius in his younger days. :mrgreen:

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm a big Sibelius fan, so that vision works for me. :)

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Jason Wolverton wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:16 pm
I'm a big Sibelius fan, so that vision works for me. :)
Maybe a good omen. ;) The wood's beautiful and look forward to seeing your finished work with it. Or should I say "Finnished" (sorry)

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 pm

[/quote]
Maybe a good omen. ;) The wood's beautiful and look forward to seeing your finished work with it. Or should I say "Finnished" (sorry)
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Some head shots. Stealthy Gilbert's in all black.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Luthiers”