How to celebrate Torres 200th anniversary

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
vesa

How to celebrate Torres 200th anniversary

Post by vesa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:59 am

Maestro Antonio Torres has his 200th anniversary this year.
Are you going to celebrate it somehow? Maybe by building a Torres copy, arranging or participating a ¨Torres¨ event or maybe having a nice spanish meal on 13.6.(his birthday)?
A Torres festival was arranged in Stockholm earlier this year, no reports heard yet though.
Here is the link to wonderful Orfeo magazine Torres jubileum edition Valére put in couple of weeks ago.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=113079
But what do you intend to do???
On my behalf I will make a Ommage to Torres lecture/concert in november in my home town.
Lecture about building a ¨Torres inspired¨ saturday and a concert on sunday with two very different Torres inspired guitars(made by me) with da Milano, Bach, Tansman, Berkeley and Domeniconi on program.
I will intentionally avoid music from his time to show that the model he gave us is still solid, vivid and totally usable to music from renaisencce to present.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Michael.N.

Re: How to celebrate Torres 200th anniversary

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 am

Based on FE28, I guess I'm doing my bit. I'm also doing another based on his smallest model, so perhaps that is more than a bit.

Historicalguitars.

Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Post by Alexandru Marian » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:16 pm

I am about done with a rosewood based on his large FE guitars (FE 19, Llobet's etc) It has a 5 piece top and I am sold on the sound and character. Funny thing is I started it without having a clue about the anniversary. Finish should be done in a couple weeks, will try to string it with gut and film a good player doing some Tarrega on it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm

I bought myself a Torres SE 114 replica, made by Swedish luthier Lars Jönsson. He only made five of this model, this is number four and his 142 build:

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
2004 - Lars Jönsson Torres SE 114

You are the instrument, not the guitar

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Personally, I celebrated in grand style by participating in the festival dedicated to Torres and arranged by Maestro Trepat. I had the fortune to be able to try five original Torres guitars (FE 28, SE 39, SE 70, SE 103, SE 153). Here is the opening of the concert in the cathedral of Lleida two days ago at the Torres jubilee. This is a reconstruction of Llobet's ensemble La Lira d'Orfeo. The arrangements are Llobet's originals for this ensemble. All instruments are original and built by Torres, Garcia, Santos, Pascual Viudes, Salazar y Grajales, Ribot. All instruments have gut/silk strings (also the mandolins).
https://youtu.be/t07wtXV4QZg

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Double post...

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 pm

arranging or participating a ¨Torres¨ event
This is a great idea but if you live in Spain be careful, you can't use the name Antonio de Torres in the name of your festival or for its promotion . Two people who call themselves guitar-makers have registered the name "Antonio de Torres" as a commercial trademark. The proof that they are out to make monetary profits from this action is in the fact that they used their lawyers to harrass the organizers of this festival until they changed the name. http://www.guitarrabadalona.org/index.p ... nadas-2017 The accusation was that the use of the name in the publicity was a "clear violation of the trademark rights of the owners of the registered name". This festival was organized by a not for profit association the origins of which are deeply rooted in giving young guitarists a space to perform in and to organize a contest exclusively for them. Check out their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/guitarra.badalona/ I was at the festival showing one of my Torres copies and giving a talk on restoration. Yes, despite the cost and headache of having to change the name and reprint the posters the organizers soldiered on and celebrated the festival and it was excellent.

What a shameful thing for anyone to do, especially for those who call themselves guitar-makers.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Ug... horrible. Wealth gathered unjustly and in haste will rot the bones.
CE Sobel Guitars

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:17 am

Very nice guitars! Thank you for the pictures!

vesa

Post by vesa » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:06 am

John Ray wrote:
Two people who call themselves guitar-makers have registered the name "Antonio de Torres" as a commercial trademark. The proof that they are out to make monetary profits from this action is in the fact that they used their lawyers to harrass the organizers of this festival until they changed the name.
Shameful and a sad example of the fact that the common law and moral don´t always correlate.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Return to “Luthiers”