Looking for a guitarlele neck

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
williamgroome

Looking for a guitarlele neck

Post by williamgroome » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm

I have an old Harmony uke that I want to turn into a guitarlele. I've looked into how to take the neck off and it doesn't seem difficult. What I need is a finished neck to insert into the body. The size of the uke body is about the same as a guitarlele so I would think the neck would fit. Only paid $5 for the uke so not a great loss. Any ideas? Also would need a guitarlele bridge. I checked some of the luthier places and nothing showed up. Thanks for any help.

printer2

Re: Looking for a guitarlele neck

Post by printer2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Look up on e - b a y rosewood classical bridges, they can be had dirt cheap. Just trim the wings a little. The neck is a little more complicated.
Fred

printer2

Post by printer2 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:38 am

Seems like not a lot of ideas here. Might help if the size of the uke is known. There are different uke sizes. How the neck attaches to the body is also something that needs to be worked out. Not a lot of uke scaled necks around built for six strings. You could use a small guitar neck from a children's guitar, maybe found in a second hand store. You would have to figure out the scale length and have a fretboard cut and fitted for it. Might be more practical using the kids guitar as is rather than grafting the neck on the uke body.

As far as finding a ready made neck that would work, little luck in that. Probably why not much response to your question.
Fred

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 am

williamgroome wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm
I have an old Harmony uke that I want to turn into a guitarlele. I've looked into how to take the neck off and it doesn't seem difficult. What I need is a finished neck to insert into the body. The size of the uke body is about the same as a guitarlele so I would think the neck would fit. Only paid $5 for the uke so not a great loss. Any ideas? Also would need a guitarlele bridge. I checked some of the luthier places and nothing showed up. Thanks for any help.
Just saw an ad for custom CNC necks and thought of your post. Birkonium is the name of the company.

Marshall

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:37 am

It is going to way cheaper just to buy a guitarlele. A finished neck of any size will cost at least 2x a new guitarlele.

ceddia

Post by ceddia » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Perhaps making your own neck would be fun. However, the well known ukulele company in Hawaii sell cordoba guitaleles and they set up every instrument up for you. The latter might be cheaper route if you have to invest in supplies.
Yes, a guitalele plan would be nice to have.

ceddia

Post by ceddia » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:08 pm

:lol: Perhaps making your own neck would be fun. However, the well known ukulele company in Hawaii sell cordoba guitaleles and they set up every instrument up for you. The latter might be cheaper route if you have to invest in supplies.
Yes, a guitalele plan would be nice to have.

Return to “Luthiers”