Does the guitar for sale section also open to professional trader to sell their guitar ?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Does the guitar for sale section also open to professional trader to sell their guitar ?

Post by James Lister » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:32 am
Pete Beer wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:11 am
Hi Gary,

You may have already been, and not found what you want, but are you aware of DK guitars? They are just north of Glasgow.

dk classicalguitars

Pete
Thanks Pete, I went about 8 years ago but he seems to have a wider range of guitars now. I hear very good things about your guitars too.
Dave (DK guitars) is at the CGR on Cumbrae every year, and Pete may be there again (Pete?), and I'll be there too, so could be worth a visit.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Gary Macleod

Re: Does the guitar for sale section also open to professional trader to sell their guitar ?

Post by Gary Macleod » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:26 am

James Lister wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 am
Gary Macleod wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:32 am
Pete Beer wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:11 am
Hi Gary,

You may have already been, and not found what you want, but are you aware of DK guitars? They are just north of Glasgow.

dk classicalguitars

Pete
Thanks Pete, I went about 8 years ago but he seems to have a wider range of guitars now. I hear very good things about your guitars too.
Dave (DK guitars) is at the CGR on Cumbrae every year, and Pete may be there again (Pete?), and I'll be there too, so could be worth a visit.

James
Thanks James, will add that to my to do list.

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 am

I just noticed a link to a guitar dealer and repeated in a Mod's post. I was under the impression we could not use links to places that sell merchandise. Additionally, we can state company names such as GSI but have to refer to e - b a y as "The Bay", "Flea-Bay" and Amazon as "The big river place", etc. What exactly delineates GSI from Amazon/e - b a y with respect to the rules?

As a side note, when I clicked the icon to submit my post "e - b a y" became e - b a y. I hope using quotes will keep the wording but it did not. I noticed Amazon did not change.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Pete Beer
Luthier

Post by Pete Beer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:26 am

If that is the rule then I can only say I was unaware of it. Moderators please edit or delete my post as and if required.

Pete Beer
Luthier

Post by Pete Beer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:33 am

Oh and James,

I think that might be the same weekend we are taking our niece and nephew on holiday with us. If it isn't I hope to come and watch some concerts, but I don't think I'll have time or a guitar to exhibit.

Pete

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm

To answer the question about why people euphemistically refer to Amazon as "the big river site", it is because formerly, the forum software had that on its "censor" list where it would automatically replace it with a message about the promotion of commercial sites being prohibited. This has been changed and is no longer the case, since someone tried to post about a trip to the Amazon (actually I think it was a post I made! :lol: ) and the auto filter put in the message. The Moderator team discussed it with M. Delcamp and he agreed to remove it from the list.
Basically, what is not allowed is a live, direct link to a commercial site, which is defined by having a shopping cart or "buy now" button on the page where the link takes you. It is ok if it is a "contact us" page without a shopping cart or buy button. It is ok to give search terms that someone can use to find a page.
Also not allowed are live links or web addresses in signatures.

As explained in the forum rules, it is the wish of M. Delcamp that this site be a place you can go where you are not bombarded with ads by people who are trying to sell you things. The sales section is his concession to the request that members had (who may live far from sources of good guitars), for the opportunity to buy and sell their own guitars. He agreed to allow it under the condition that it was for members who had come to the site and contributed in some way, not just anyone who came for the sole purpose of selling. There are plenty of places on the internet where one can do that and he did not want this site to become the Craig's List of guitars.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Thank you for the moderator's explanation. It is clear to me now.

I have done a quick search of all the posts by one of the members here. All his post and thread since April 2016 till now are all for guitar trading with no other non sale contribution. Does someone like him "qualify" under your definition as coming here with a sole purpose of selling ?

If you do a search of his post and thread since he joined, you can count the number of guitar he has sold here and the profit he has made. It is quite unbelievable the amount fee he has save so far from the famous auction site (which he has quit selling there since joining delcamp, after he realized he can take this for a free ride).

I believe they are many professional seller like him in this forum but chose to respect the spirit of this forum by not turning it as their money making machine.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 pm

I have done a quick search of all the posts by one of the members here. All his post and thread since April 2016 till now are all for guitar trading with no other non sale contribution. Does someone like him "qualify" under your definition as coming here with a sole purpose of selling ?

If you do a search of his post and thread since he joined, you can count the number of guitar he has sold here and the profit he has made. It is quite unbelievable the amount fee he has save so far from the famous auction site (which he has quit selling there since joining delcamp, after he realized he can take this for a free ride).

I believe they are many professional seller like him in this forum but chose to respect the spirit of this forum by not turning it as their money making machine.
Look at the long list of unsold instruments on this forum. From what I have seen, the members of this forum are very knowledgeable, knowing exactly what they want, and only purchase, not good, but great bargains. The fact that this "member" has sold more than usual number of instruments here is testament that he/she has provided great service to this community. I find it hard to fault a person to provide a good service at a much less profit margin than the professional dealers.
Last edited by bacsidoan on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:54 pm

I sense a backstory...

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Tom wrote:

Again, I will emphasize that if someone believes the forum rules are being violated, then the proper course of action is to contact the moderators using the private message system and do not post innuendos of misbehavior on the open forum. * I * certainly have no idea who you might have in mind, so if you believe there is a violation, report it by private message.

If a violation is reported, the moderator team looks at the evidence presented and decides whether or not there is a violation, if so, then the member will be warned that the behavior is not acceptable. By forum rules, the actions that the moderators take are not to be the subject of discussion on the open forum. One may send a PM to the Chief Moderator if you feel the appropriate action was not taken and wish to discuss it.

I am only repeating here what is available for all to read here, under the section "who coordinates the forum "
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:13 am

Hi bascidon, whether the individual is making more or less profit is besides the point and beyond our ability to prove it.

That member has sold 15 guitars on Delcamp in 2 years history in the forum and his intention of coming to the forum is clear. I believe no other member can beat his record as a top seller in this forum. He has been using other platform for sale of his guitar but has ceased since he joined delcamp.

I will send PM to the moderator for more details without discussing it here. I just think is not right for a professional trader to take a free ride on this forum to run his own business, which I believe is not the intend and purpose of this forum.

Thank you !

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:25 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:48 pm
Tom wrote:

Look at the long list of unsold instruments on this forum. From what I have seen, the members of this forum are very knowledgeable, knowing exactly what they want, and only purchase, not good, but great bargains. The fact that this "member" has sold more than usual number of instruments here is testament that he/she has provided great service to this community. I find it hard to fault a person to provide a good service at a much less profit margin than the professional dealers.

Be careful when you talked about "good service". There are many things we see on surface is just an iceberg of what is behind.

Unfortunately you are not a moderator with the privilege to see my private message from other member. I would invite the moderator who can read my private message to see who are the buyer comment about this seller.

The sales section of this forum is , however , not set up for a transactions in such a way the buyer's interest is being protected, like other auction site. This is an obvious loop hole for the professional trader to take advantage here.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:13 am
Hi bascidon, whether the individual is making more or less profit is besides the point and beyond our ability to prove it.

That member has sold 15 guitars on Delcamp in 2 years history in the forum and his intention of coming to the forum is clear. I believe no other member can beat his record as a top seller in this forum. He has been using other platform for sale of his guitar but has ceased since he joined delcamp.

I will send PM to the moderator for more details without discussing it here. I just think is not right for a professional trader to take a free ride on this forum to run his own business, which I believe is not the intend and purpose of this forum.

Thank you !
So are you saying there should be some sort of cap on the number of guitars sold by an individual member over the course of a year?
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:48 am

Guitar-ded wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:52 pm
Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:13 am

Thank you !
So are you saying there should be some sort of cap on the number of guitars sold by an individual member over the course of a year?

That is an excellent suggestion .... Someone who sold 15 guitars in 2 years certainly must be a Semi or professional trader. As the moderator said that it is not their intention to turn this forum into another Craig's list of guitar, I strongly recommend to limit the sale of guitar per user per year.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:59 am

Tom wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:48 am

That is an excellent suggestion .... Someone who sold 15 guitars in 2 years certainly must be a Semi or professional trader. As the moderator said that it is not their intention to turn this forum into another Craig's list of guitar, I strongly recommend to limit the sale of guitar per user per year.
I think limiting the sale of guitars per year might be difficult, if someone were to take this suggestion. Some people on here who legitimately change guitars rather quickly sell many guitars per year, but that doesn't mean they are "traders". Some people have very large collections and just want to cut some of the extras every now and then, and I don't think that should be limited. Not that I sell many guitars, but I can imagine a time that I might list a few guitars at a time to get rid of some to fund another purchase. I think that is fair. But, I also post about other topics too and make regular use of the forum. I think the moderators should maybe apply some common sense and just flag/warn those that look suspicious.

I don't think rules should be over-bearing, or else we run the risk of alienating people who just love guitars with petty rules.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Return to “Luthiers”