Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Re: Redwood/Cherry guitar finished

Post by Andy Culpepper » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 am

Forgot to mention that, yes it is sold.

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

I really love the rosette! Fabulous work overall, front and back (and sides from what we can see). Lovely sound (a bit stiff on the 1st string but I guess it will open up as they say).
How does redwood evolve over time? more like spruce or cedar?
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Thanks wychameus! The guitar is a bit green still. Also in the Fingals Cave piece it strikes me as a challenge to get the 1st string voice to ring out in general.
This is my first Redwood guitar so I'm not totally sure how it will behave over time. But the characteristics of the wood seem more like Spruce than Cedar to me so it may have a while to break in.

hatalap

Post by hatalap » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:15 am

This guitar is actually mine. I purchased Andy's #75 which was cherry and cedar. I've been so impressed with that guitar I asked him to build me a cherry and redwood guitar. That was primarily based on another thread here. I'm not much of a traditionalist and frankly #75 is better than the traditional rosewood and cedar guitars I have or have played. I think cherry is underrated as a tone wood. Of course a lot of the quality has to do with Andy's skill as a luthier. Andy was great to work with, I can't recommend him enough. Now all I need to do is get the guitar. I had ordered a Visesnut case that was delayed in getting to Andy...

If you a looking for a new luthier built guitar I'd contact Andy. You won't regret it.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:18 am

hatalap wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:15 am
If you a looking for a new luthier built guitar I'd contact Andy. You won't regret it.
+1

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Hey Andy, what tonal differences have you found with redwood vs spruce or cedar on your instruments?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:01 am

Thanks for the kind words, hatalap. It will be coming your way this week.

souldier, I have a sample size of 1 for Redwood guitars at this point, so I can't say for sure, but to me it has the boldness of Spruce but a little less separation, more blending of notes and a very rich quality.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Andy Culpepper wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:01 am
Thanks for the kind words, hatalap. It will be coming your way this week.

souldier, I have a sample size of 1 for Redwood guitars at this point, so I can't say for sure, but to me it has the boldness of Spruce but a little less separation, more blending of notes and a very rich quality.
Your description sounds spot on based on my experience with redwood.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

hatalap

Post by hatalap » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:33 am

So I've had the new guitar for almost a week now and I can't get enough of it! The best I've been able to come up with to describe the guitar is magical - quite literally. The sustain goes on forever. I remember watching a youtube video where Lowden is talking about tonewoods and I remember the sustain he got out of one of the guitars in the video. #84 is all that and more. It seems that they combination of sustain with the somewhat ethereal quality of the notes creates this blend in the music that is fantastic. Andy built the guitar to my specification and made a creation that fits like a glove and comes to life when played. At least with both of my Culpepper guitars, they take a few minutes more than my other guitars to truly warm up, but once warmed up the notes are so much more refined. While no guitar is complete without a player, I think Andy's guitars have this unique union with the player. They beckon, come here and play me, you know they kind of music we can play make together!

Great work Andy, I couldn't have hoped for more!

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Thank you for the very kind words, Paul.

"The beauty of the guitar lies in its soft and persuasive voice, and its poetry can not be equaled by any other instrument." - Andrés Segovia.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am

Paul
Thanks for taking time away from your new Culpepper to do a review. Guess you are going to have a pretty great weekend. Congrats to you and Andy!

Return to “Luthiers”