My Latest Guitar inspired by Daniel Friederich designs

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Michael Lazar
Luthier

My Latest Guitar inspired by Daniel Friederich designs

Post by Michael Lazar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:41 pm

In January 2016 I posted a thread covering my build of a guitar from Roy Courtnall's plans based upon a 1972 cedar topped Friederich. That thread can be reviewed here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101966

In August of 2016 I posted a thread to get opinions about the sound qualities of Friederich guitars using a number of links to videos of internationally acclaimed guitarists playing Friederich guitars. In that thread I posted some photos of a second guitar that I made based on another of Friederich's top designs using spruce instead of cedar. This thread can be found at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106552

I've been continuing my research with much help from several other luthiers including some from this forum. Here are some photos of my third guitar built with Cocobolo back & sides, Euro Spruce Top, Mahogany Neck, Ebony fret board and BRW bridge and head plate. This guitar was commissioned by the head of the guitar department at one of the universities in Calgary. He's had it for a month now and tells me that he's very pleased with it. Thanks for having a look as well as for all of the helpful comments in the previous threads
Top.jpg
Back.jpg
Top Quarter.jpg
Rosette.jpg
Head.jpg
Interior.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kurt Penner

Re: My Latest Guitar inspired by Daniel Friederich designs

Post by Kurt Penner » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm not a luthier but that looks great. May I ask, does it have your usual nut/saddle compensation?

KP

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:26 pm
I'm not a luthier but that looks great. May I ask, does it have your usual nut/saddle compensation?

KP
Yes it does.

Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Post by Alexandru Marian » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Looks great! Not very long ago i did one (cedar) with this sort of bracing scheme, but a bit lighter and slightly more soundboard meat and been super pleased. Power seems similar to a Byers style lattice. I can't wait to try it with spruce.

Why no raised fb? I just finished my first and i am not looking forward to do the normal type. I found several construction advantages. I even start to like the look of them :)

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Lovely guitar and in particular the rosette and head stock. Thank-you for posting Michael. Cheers Aaron

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:29 am

Hi Mick,

Thanks for sharing, it looks great and I'm sure sounds great as well.

I just finished one with his secondary symmetrical bracing and it turned out great... i did digress a little though and used a bridge patch instead of the bar. I think I like the high E character better with patch, but the double lower harmonic bar sounded great. It kind of hit you in the gut with a strong and fast initial fundamental.

Thanks again for sharing.
CE Sobel Guitars

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:42 am

Great guitar, Michael. The Friederich rosette is stunning. Thanks for sharing.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Alexandru Marian wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm
Why no raised fb? I just finished my first and i am not looking forward to do the normal type. I found several construction advantages. I even start to like the look of them :)
I wanted to see how close I could come to an exact replica Alexandru. But I am now offering the bracing design with my raised fret board architecture. Like yourself, I find construction advantages and I also like the look.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:22 pm

Chris Sobel wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:29 am
Hi Mick,
Thanks for sharing, it looks great and I'm sure sounds great as well.
Thanks for the kind words Chris. You were one of the folks who reached out and shared a lot of information about Friederich's designs. Iy was greatly appreciated.

Return to “Luthiers”