Antonio Marín Guitar Making Competition

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
John Ray
Luthier

Antonio Marín Guitar Making Competition

Post by John Ray » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:04 am

The Granada Festival of the guitar http://www.europeanguitarfoundation.com/ has already been mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=113616
but I thought I should make special mention of the building competition to be celebrated in October.
http://www.festivalguitarragranada.com/ ... n-Montero/

I am sure that the prizes will be interesting to some of you so if you can scrape together the cash to pay for your time in Granada it might be a good opportunity to get some exposure.
There seem to be no concerts programmed for that time period but there is no reason why we couldn't come up with something just to make a round week out of it.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

Michael.N.

Re: Antonio Marín Guitar Making Competition

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:17 am

Don't know what to make of such competitions. On the one hand I find them all a bit binary but on the other hand I guess they are an opportunity for little known makers to become noticed. That's assuming that players take note of the winners. The violin making version (the Paris) is very well established and is extremely influential, it's a very big prize for the winners.
Historicalguitars.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:17 am
... I guess they are an opportunity for little known makers to become noticed...
+1
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:15 pm

John Ray wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:04 am
The Granada Festival of the guitar http://www.europeanguitarfoundation.com/ has already been mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=113616
but I thought I should make special mention of the building competition to be celebrated in October.
http://www.festivalguitarragranada.com/ ... n-Montero/

I am sure that the prizes will be interesting to some of you so if you can scrape together the cash to pay for your time in Granada it might be a good opportunity to get some exposure.
There seem to be no concerts programmed for that time period but there is no reason why we couldn't come up with something just to make a round week out of it.

I wouldn't qualify to enter with what I currently have as all my guitars to date have one or more bought in components. I might think about it for next year. For me the interesting element would be meeting the judges and any players who happened by and generally enjoying the the atmosphere.

I am not entirely convinced about the prizes. Obviously, the medals and being able to boast about it is worthwhile but putting the winning guitar in a museum for a year as opposed to getting it played is a bit odd. Being in a museum might appeal to a late career builder as recognition of a lifetime in the business but it would be a bit counter productive for an early career builder.

I will certainly consider visiting the exhibition - the timing might work for me.

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 am

I would like to hear more opinions on this competition. There are some differences between this one and violin-making ones like Paris and Cremona. Of course this is not the first guitar-making competition in Spain; José Ángel Chacón organized one back in 1999. http://granadainfo.com/spanish/concurso.htm
Entries were anonymous and the jury was made up exclusively of builders including José Luis Romanillos. Among other prizes Francisco Hervás of Granada won a gold medal for viola de gamba and Bernd Martin also of Granada gold medal for guitar. If I remember correctly there was no monetary prize. I presented the third or fourth guitar I had ever made and not surprisingly didn't take a prize home. :P
John Ray

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 am

Thanks John for letting us know, this is very interesting, and essentially a good news for all lovers of the guitar (beyond the guitar makers)!

They ask for spanish guitars and reject double tops (which I can understand, if this is to advertise also the spanish tradition). I wonder if they would accept double sides? Or double-tapas à la Contreras?

It´s cool to have GSI involved. I found however their commitment to buy the guitar´s winner for 2500$ quite cheap (and even more knowinng their selling price). It almost look like they factor in the branding impact the guitar maker will benefit for being on sale at GSI. And that might actually be a correct reasoning, from the business perspective. It´s amazing, when you think about it.

One question: is this gonna be a one-off edition, or can we expect the competition to be organised regularly?

vesa

Post by vesa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:10 am

1. A very good idea, should have been done years ago.
2. The prizes seem like a good idea. The system benefits luthiers yet unknown.
If you are a pro with a year long waiting list and you sell your guitars for 5000 €, getting a chance to sell two of your yearly production for half prize (first prize is 2500 €) is not that attractive.
On the other hand to get your guitars sold by GSI is maybe the best thing to happen to a new in bizz.
3. ¨It must be completely finished and hand-made, in its entirety, by the contestant himself.¨ Quite clear, but the ready-made items could have been listed as they are not so many.
4. All the members of the jury have some kind of relation to building(+ one salesman)
and I don´t think that it is necessarily a good thing.
I don´t think that a guitarist with guitar building experience is more qualified to sit in the board than ¨just a guitarist¨. Very few of us have ever build a guitar but we are the customers and in the end the guitarists set the rules = which is a good guitar and which is not.
A world known guitarist or two(and not from Spain) in the jury would balance things better and give more international esteem.
5. I really hope this competition will be arranged regularly.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 am

Yes, I think the idea is to continue every year with this competition. I am not part of the organization so I don't know what will happen. Perhaps some of the issues you mention can be addressed in coming years.
John Ray

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 am

http://www.granadaguitarfestival.com/Fe ... n-Montero/

September 30 is the last day for registration for participation in this competition. I personally am counting on this competition becoming an annual event just as the organizers are hoping. There is no reason why in coming years it could not follow the lines of the great instrument making competitions (Paris, Cremona) and become the international reference for great guitar making. Why shouldn't Granada attract the biggest international names in the guitar once a year? In the meantime, I have heard that quite a few makers have signed up already but as the limit is 50 participants there is still room for you to register.
John Ray

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Glad to hear about it
I hope you can let us know the outcome

gjo

Post by gjo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 am

John Ray wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 am
http://www.granadaguitarfestival.com/Fe ... n-Montero/

September 30 is the last day for registration for participation in this competition. I personally am counting on this competition becoming an annual event just as the organizers are hoping. There is no reason why in coming years it could not follow the lines of the great instrument making competitions (Paris, Cremona) and become the international reference for great guitar making. Why shouldn't Granada attract the biggest international names in the guitar once a year? In the meantime, I have heard that quite a few makers have signed up already but as the limit is 50 participants there is still room for you to register.
Hi John,
thank you for reminding. Are you taking part? Unfortunately I will not be able to make my way to Granada, so do not count on me.

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Hello Gerhard,

As it stands, the prizes are not interesting to me. My goal is to convince the organizers to make a few changes and make the competition attractive to makers like yourself. Then you will have an excuse to come to Granada. I have my eye on a bottle of wine that I would like to share with you.
John Ray

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 pm

- let me confess that this competition slowly becomes known - so far as an idea - between unknown to the world luthiers who spent a lot of time reading good books on luthiery and learning from reliable sources in internet and I am in friendship with one of them - nice person from Poland like myself - who just completed his very promising guitar of spruce and maple, soon he will begin his next constructions and if everything will go OK (and this person is a kind of perfectionist) he will try to participate in next edition of this competition; so far he reads with great interest your, John, blog Great guitars of the past.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

gjo

Post by gjo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 pm

John Ray wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:29 pm
Hello Gerhard,

As it stands, the prizes are not interesting to me. My goal is to convince the organizers to make a few changes and make the competition attractive to makers like yourself. Then you will have an excuse to come to Granada. I have my eye on a bottle of wine that I would like to share with you.
Great, I might come without excuses.👍

Michael Groocock

Post by Michael Groocock » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm very interested in entering a guitar for next year. I think it's a great opportunity for makers like myself who are at the start of their guitar making careers and are totally unknown but have a passion and desire to create world class instruments.

Return to “Luthiers”