My first guitar, my Debut

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Steve Ganz
Luthier

Re: My first guitar, my Debut

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 am

Interesting work.
I wonder if you would tell a bit more about what you have shown.
What did you build before this first guitar?
What can you tell us about the carvings?
What can you tell us about the decorative center strips in the backs? I've never seen anything like those.
Steve

Yanguang Chen

Post by Yanguang Chen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:34 am

zarahn wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:37 am
Amazing!!
Hi zarahn, thank you very much for your praise an visit! Best wishes! :D Yanguang
Last edited by Yanguang Chen on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dipl. -Ing. Yanguang Chen

Yanguang Chen

Post by Yanguang Chen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:36 am

Echi wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 am
Your work is just amazing.Congrats.
Hello Echi! Thank you very much for your praise and visit! Best wishes! :D Yanguang

Yanguang Chen

Post by Yanguang Chen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 am

Timothy Morgan wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm
That is beautiful!
Hi Timothy, thank you very much! Best wishes! :D Yanguang

Yanguang Chen

Post by Yanguang Chen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 am

KenO wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:36 pm
Bravo! How do you top a first build like this? Amazing! Thanks also for the audio/video. The link to the next video shows another guitar just like this one. Is this your 2nd build Mr. Yanguang Chen? The rosette reminds me of some of the intricate pottery designs you find in ancient Chinese vases. Inspiring!
Hello KenO! Thank you very much for your praise and visit! Here is some info to answer your question:
Yanguang Chen wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:47 pm
brooks wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:38 pm
The craftsmanship is indeed impressive. I am curious though: Why did you invest so much time in the ornamentation for a first instrument, when achieving great acoustic results generally takes years of practice, much trial and error, and experimentation? I would have thought that for a first guitar, one would want to minimize the time investment in non-sound related features in the likely event that the tonal result was far from ideal.
Hi brooks, thank you very much for writing so much.Yes, your idea is correct, this is a normal logic. :D

I have spent two years looking for learning materials and learn, with my understanding of the craftsmanship, anything has its composition, I dismembered it in stages, practicing for the synthesis of a whole guitar, which is part of the woodwork. My understanding, begin to learn guitar making must endure the temptation of desire of a whole guitar to quick finish, not imperative, impatient and rash.

Acoustics part, I have read a lot of papers about the instrumental acoustics. when doing this guitar, has been initially aware of the guitar frequency response characteristics.Two years later to really start the whole synthesis, a complete guitar to make.

But, a question entangled me, to make a very common guitar? The cpmmon guitar is only a monotonous face, only the decoration, sometimes no complete design theme, as architect I am sensitive to the design. No, I want to personalize my guitar, it needs not only a good voice but also a nice face. This is the original intention of making this guitar, in fact, I have made this guitar twice, the first time , according to my understanding I am not satisfied with the sound, so I saw and open it, again and again...
The rosette reminds you of some of the designs in ancient Chinese vases, but i have another example, i will write some on coming weekend and show some pictures in next post because of the questions from Steve Ganz.

KenO, you are welcome and best wishes! :D Yanguang

Return to “Luthiers”