Yunah Park - 1924 Santos Hernandez

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rinneby

Yunah Park - 1924 Santos Hernandez

Post by rinneby » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Today, after a good many ifs and buts, I finally took the plunge and bought the guitar I had my eyes on for quite some time. A 1924 Santos Hernandez inspired guitar, meticulously handcrafted by Madrid luthier Yunah Park. Yunah was fortunate to have the original 1924 Santos (which was owned and played by Andrea Segovia) at her possession to refer to during the build process. The spruce used for the top is aged more than 20 years and the Madagascar rosewood is from circa 1940. This is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever laid my eyes on. Now I can only hope that it will sound just as good.

The guitar will be shipped to Sweden tomorrow and I expect to have it early next week. Many thanks to Tony Nugent for exemplary customer support and engagement.

Year: 2017
Scale: 650mm
Nut: 52mm
Top: Solid Italian/Swiss Spruce
Back/Sides: Solid Madagascar Rosewood
Fretboard: Ebony
Tuners: Fustero Hand Engraved
Finish: Shellac French Polish

Yunah was kind enough to let me upload and share this video, that was recorded shortly after the guitar was done. First the original Santos and then the Yunah. Sure the original Santos sounds a little bit darker and "played in" but still, very close to my ears. Pretty amazing stuff:

Youtube

Some pictures from the build process

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 14 times in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1976 - Kazuo Yairi YC-250
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Tony Nugent

Re: Yunah Park - 1924 Santos Hernandez

Post by Tony Nugent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:41 pm

It is my pleasure and indeed i too hope you find it as wonderful as we do.

Yunah will also be very delighted to know that one of her outstanding guitars is on its way to beautiful Sweden soon.

T

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Nice, thanks for the pic's, R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi Jon,
Wow! Congratulations - that is a stunningly beautiful guitar. You must be very excited. And to think you get to hear it for the first time when it arrives next week. Yay! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Chris

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi Jon, so you took the leap ...

hope your expectations work out best!

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:14 am

Yunah's guitars are very interesting indeed. Already tried 3, including her very first one. I tend to prefer her Hauser inspired model, with a feminine, sensitive touch which reminded me of the first Ana Espinosa I bought back in 1998.
Very nice traditional guitars indeed.
Last edited by ben etow on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm

ben etow wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:14 am
Yunah's guitars are very interesting indeed. Already tried 3, including his very first one. I tend to prefer her Hauser inspired model, with a feminine, sensitive touch which reminded me of the first Ana Espinosa I bought back in 1998.
I completely agree (apart from that "his"). I have only tried one of Yunah's guitars but it was the closest I have found to my Ana Espinosa. Tony N firmly believes Yunah is one of the great luthiers of the future, as he has told me on more than one occasion.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

mordent

Post by mordent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 am

Beautiful looking guitar but the "sound and playability "is all !! Do please let us know if the sound matches the looks,however with spruce,as we all know this may take some time for full potential to emerge.
I believe ,though my memory is not what it was , that the excellent British guitarist Cheryl Grice --seen on the Julian Bream Masterclass of 20 or more years ago --where she impressed us all with her technique and sound - owned a genuine Santos Hernandez .Sadly ,however ,she parted with it and no doubt regrets it to this day.i!
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:21 am

Yunah was kind enough to let me upload and share this video, that was recorded shortly after the guitar was done. First the original Santos and then the Yunah. Sure the original Santos sounds a little bit darker and more "played in" but still, very close to my ears. Pretty amazing stuff:

Youtube

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 pm

DerekB wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm
ben etow wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:14 am
Yunah's guitars are very interesting indeed. Already tried 3, including his very first one. I tend to prefer her Hauser inspired model, with a feminine, sensitive touch which reminded me of the first Ana Espinosa I bought back in 1998.
I completely agree (apart from that "his"). I have only tried one of Yunah's guitars but it was the closest I have found to my Ana Espinosa. Tony N firmly believes Yunah is one of the great luthiers of the future, as he has told me on more than one occasion.
Sorry, I met her on both occasions when I tested the guitars... and I don't understand why I made such a mistake. My apologies.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:45 pm

rinneby wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:21 am
Yunah was kind enough to let me upload and share this video, that was recorded shortly after the guitar was done. First the original Santos and then the Yunah. Sure the original Santos sounds a little bit darker and more "played in" but still, very close to my ears. Pretty amazing stuff:

Youtube

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
Sounds very close to each other, though it's difficult to judge by the kind of recording. It looks like you're in for a very good treat here. Congrats!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:15 am

Congratulations! That looks like a very beautiful guitar! I am sure that it will make a fine addition to your collection! Speaking of which, you seem to be collecting quite quickly! hahaha..

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:43 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:15 am
Congratulations! That looks like a very beautiful guitar! I am sure that it will make a fine addition to your collection! Speaking of which, you seem to be collecting quite quickly! hahaha..

Martin
Collecting yes, selling off some too. Or at least I try to ;) Thank you buy the way!

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:08 am

The guitarist is Yunah's husband Javier Somoza and he has just released a cd using the original Santos guitar. http://www.granadaexpert.com/johnray/a- ... r-segovia/ I met him and Yunah when I was writing an article about this particular guitar. He edited my article and the rest of the journal issue where it was published. The blueprint of the guitar I drew is available full-size to the subscribers of the journal. http://www.granadaexpert.com/johnray/ne ... l-article/ I think Yunah started her copy of that guitar with the blueprint but then Javier had access to the guitar and so she did too. I got to hear the original played by Javier Riba when I was studying the guitar and then again at the presentation of the magazine when Javier Somoza played it. Nice job Yunah.

John Ray
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 am

John Ray wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:08 am
The guitarist is Yunah's husband Javier Somoza and he has just released a cd using the original Santos guitar. http://www.granadaexpert.com/johnray/a- ... r-segovia/ I met him and Yunah when I was writing an article about this particular guitar. He edited my article and the rest of the journal issue where it was published. The blueprint of the guitar I drew is available full-size to the subscribers of the journal. http://www.granadaexpert.com/johnray/ne ... l-article/ I think Yunah started her copy of that guitar with the blueprint but then Javier had access to the guitar and so she did too. I got to hear the original played by Javier Riba when I was studying the guitar and then again at the presentation of the magazine when Javier Somoza played it. Nice job Yunah.

John Ray
Thank you John, great read. I will listen to the record for sure, he seems like a wonderful musician. Did you by any chance get to see Yunah guitar?

To my understadning Yunah started with the original Santos, then the blueprint. But this I cannot confirm.

All the best

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
2007 - Lorenzo Frignani

Return to “Luthiers”