Yunah Park - 1924 Santos Hernandez

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
John Ray
Luthier

Re: Yunah Park - 1924 Santos Hernandez

Post by John Ray » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 am

I have seen a few guitars made by Yunah but I have not seen the Santos copy. Congratulations on your new guitar.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

Echi

Post by Echi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 am

This is a very interesting guitar indeed.
Was it common for Santos to shape the transverse bars as in the pictures?
Some guitars made by Santos have a quite open sound, so that you can use them even for flamenco pieces. Is this the case with this guitar?
Thanks

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Mentioning flamenco guitars: I once played a Santos Hernandez flamenca blanca at Siccas and that was the one guitar there I would have taken with me if not for not being an impulsive buyer (well, mostly :lol:; my recent acquisition of the Stenzel quilted maple guitar was close to that :D ).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm

When listening to the sound clips of the Santos Hernandez and the Park, I found them to be nearly identical, which is a considerable feat. If the playability and responsiveness (especially the responsiveness) is up to snuff this is a remarkable instrument.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Kintla wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm
When listening to the sound clips of the Santos Hernandez and the Park, I found them to be nearly identical, which is a considerable feat. If the playability and responsiveness (especially the responsiveness) is up to snuff this is a remarkable instrument.
Please comsider a very low quality recording; the differences could be much bigger in truth...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 am

So finally, my little review:

When the guitar arrived it was as aesthetically and tonally wonderful as described. Very easy on the hands and the tone was loud and clear with great respons and sustain. The woods are stunning. Most impressive for such a "new" guitar. However the saddle hight and the height of the frets wasn't quite the way I liked, so after consultation with both Yunah and Tony we agreed that it was best for me to consider another guitar, suited for my specific needs.

The whole process was very smooth and I received a full refund from Nugent Guitars, I even got a book about Japanese classical guitars for free. So all in all I'm quite happy, but also a little sad, since it was a very wonderful guitar indeed, it was just not the right guitar for me. I'm 100% confident that this guitar soon will reach another lucky buyer.

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt Torres

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Tony Nugent

Post by Tony Nugent » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:13 am

And I would like to mention that it was a real pleasure getting to know Jon as he is a true honest gentleman and even better he likes guitars lol! We were sorry that this wonderful guitar was not for him, but at NG we would never wish a player to keep a guitar which was not suited to them. Glad you like the book Jon!

Return to “Luthiers”