Yunah Park - 1924 Santos Hernandez

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
John Ray
Luthier

Re: Yunah Park - 1924 Santos Hernandez

Post by John Ray » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 am

I have seen a few guitars made by Yunah but I have not seen the Santos copy. Congratulations on your new guitar.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

Echi

Post by Echi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 am

This is a very interesting guitar indeed.
Was it common for Santos to shape the transverse bars as in the pictures?
Some guitars made by Santos have a quite open sound, so that you can use them even for flamenco pieces. Is this the case with this guitar?
Thanks

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Mentioning flamenco guitars: I once played a Santos Hernandez flamenca blanca at Siccas and that was the one guitar there I would have taken with me if not for not being an impulsive buyer (well, mostly :lol:; my recent acquisition of the Stenzel quilted maple guitar was close to that :D ).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm

When listening to the sound clips of the Santos Hernandez and the Park, I found them to be nearly identical, which is a considerable feat. If the playability and responsiveness (especially the responsiveness) is up to snuff this is a remarkable instrument.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Kintla wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm
When listening to the sound clips of the Santos Hernandez and the Park, I found them to be nearly identical, which is a considerable feat. If the playability and responsiveness (especially the responsiveness) is up to snuff this is a remarkable instrument.
Please comsider a very low quality recording; the differences could be much bigger in truth...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Luthiers”