A Gallon a day keeps the luthier away

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Keith

A Gallon a day keeps the luthier away

Post by Keith » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 pm

for the past 1.5 months I have been running a dehumidifier in my one bedroom apt. from about 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. in the space of the 11 hours I typically get about a gallon of water in the tank with the room humidity dropping to 45-50% I can only imagine if I did not run the dehumidifier. best $20 I ever spent (on craigslist).
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Re: A Gallon a day keeps the luthier away

Post by Andy Culpepper » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:52 pm

Yep. Most people only worry about dry conditions with their guitars but humidity can cause problems too. I recently had a guitar of mine in the shop because one side of the fingerboard lifted off the top a little, and you could tell that the guitar was way over-humidified. The soundboard was bulging out and the fret ends were actually recessed into the ebony a bit. Luckily it was an easy repair and after hanging in the shop at 45% for a while everything went back to normal. The guitar also sounded a lot better. It was a good lesson in dehumidification and also how reactive of a wood Ebony is.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:33 am

Yes, I also run a dehumidifier in the house also! It's very important!

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 am

:(
It is like trying to drain the ocean...
We have no air conditioning and we are running a window fan to cool the house as much as possible in the evening. All of the windows are open. The humidity is 77% in one room, 82% in another. Temperature is 76F.
:shrug:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 am

Keith, can you mention the make of your de-humidifier? I bought one on Craig's list. It was a bust. Big too, and noisy.

It' supposed to be possible to intentionally dry out a Humidi-pak, and then use it as a de-humidifier in your guitar case. For sure it will absorb moisture. Supposedly they keep humidity down in your case when they're fresh out of the box. Maybe if you have an hermetically sealed case, which I don't. They're mildly effective de-humidifiers in my Humicase.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

gjo

Post by gjo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am

Keith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 pm
for the past 1.5 months I have been running a dehumidifier in my one bedroom apt. from about 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. in the space of the 11 hours I typically get about a gallon of water in the tank with the room humidity dropping to 45-50% I can only imagine if I did not run the dehumidifier. best $20 I ever spent (on craigslist).
Yes, a dehumidifier is a good thing, especially during summer in the workshop. I had the problem that the machine is working like a fridge, i.e. it cools down one side to condense the humidity but it also blows out hot air on the other side and is driving the temperature up. I finally had an additional air conditioning installed to keep both humidity and temperature at a convenient level.

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:57 am

Jeffrey, I have a 40 pint Westinghouse. It is a little loud, hence why it runs while I am at work and not when I am at home, and it does blow out hot air which I believe is a normal function. I have a fan that is located near the far end of the living room and have it blowing towards the front door. the front door has some gaps and the outside hallway is AC so I am applying heat transfer physics to decrease the heat build up. when I get home I turn off the humidifier and run the AC on low for about an hour in total. My electric bill was only about $25 more last month. Interestingly, the people who sold it were in the process of moving to the desert of Utah so I would imagine they have a reverse problem.

Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:57 am

oops, double post

Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Post by John higgon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:42 pm

I use a dessicant dehumidifier. These are a bit quieter than compressor types. They do, however, blow out warm air, just as the compressor units do - but for different reasons. As 'tools' go, it's not very sexy but it is useful.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 am

gjo wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am
Keith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 pm
Yes, a dehumidifier is a good thing, especially during summer in the workshop. I had the problem that the machine is working like a fridge, i.e. it cools down one side to condense the humidity but it also blows out hot air on the other side and is driving the temperature up. I finally had an additional air conditioning installed to keep both humidity and temperature at a convenient level.
I'm glad I'm not the only one... basement workshop with the dehumidifier was getting to 82-85 degrees. I just put an ac down there and it's great. Now if I could just figure how to stifle the dehumidifier noise.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Return to “Luthiers”