Well, I guess it's time to finish up this build thread. I put the strings on back in August.
French polished shellac is curing. After using shellac for years, since this guitar is sort of an experiment/keeper, I used Royal Lac, a shellac-based concoction that goes on like regular shellac, but cross-links after a few months, when it becomes impervious to water and alcohol, according the advertising on it, and my own testing.
Attaching the bridge using my massively overbuilt vacuum fixture, which is being replaced due to some tutoring from a friend who used to design and build propellers and knows more about vacuum and laminating composites than anybody I know.
The plan called for a highly tapered headstock width. On future builds, I expect I'll widen it a bit near the nut end.
Nice silk in this top. BRW bridge.
The Fleta-like pre-made rosette. I'll be doing my own design soon.
I was initially disappointed with its tone when I put the strings on and tuned it up. I didn't know how much it would improve over a short period of time, much more so than my steel string guitars. I started taking lessons and my teacher was pleased with it, so much so that he asked to borrow it for a week to show his friends and fellow teachers and players. He ordered one the following morning, and that evening, a professor of music at a nearby university who he knows and performs with also ordered one. Could have knocked me over with a feather.
Its tone has improved drastically since August. So, I'm pleased with the outcome.
Thanks for looking in!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pat Foster on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.