Humidifier questions

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
hashimAlhashimi

Humidifier questions

Post by hashimAlhashimi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Hello , i have just get my new guitar from spain alhambra 7fc with a hardcase .
i have some questions about the humidifiers and the use of it .
firsitly, i got planet wave humidifier the black one with a small sponge .
as i live in turkey now the humidity reads in climates 60% .

Do i really need to put the humidifier in the soundhole of the guitar ?
how many hours should i keep the humidifier in the guitar ?
if the humidity in my place is around 40-50% is that harmful if i keep the humidifiers in case some changes happen and would that harm the guitar also if the humidity is good and i put the Humidifier , or it only need to put the humi.. , only when it needs it ?
i also put in the case under the headstock of the guitar another humidifier cheap one the same as planet wave also in case .

Am i doing it right just to protect the guitar , or putting a humidifier in the case and soundhole while the humidity is fine would affect the guitar in a wrong way ?
also since i left the humidifer in the guitar from yesterday i check the spong today it was like strongs so thats mean the humidity is low or high /?

im just worrying about if that normal to keep the humidifier in the case and in the sound hole when im not using the guitar even the humidity is fine ?

thank you

Emil Krasich

Re: Humidifier questions

Post by Emil Krasich » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 am

40 to 50% humidity is just fine. No need to add any extra humidity to your guitar as that could cause the guitar to take on too much moisture. I only start dehumidifying at or above 55% and adding humidity when under 40%.

hashimAlhashimi

Post by hashimAlhashimi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:57 am

So did u mean just to keep the sound hole humidifier in ? and get the one under head stock out ?
now the humidity in istanbul is 69% its kind of raising , so now should i left the one in sound hole ?

vesa

Post by vesa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:23 am

No humidifier at all when more than 40%.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 am

You need a dehumidifier at over 55% especially at the 69% and rising.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 am

Emil Krasich wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 am
40 to 50% humidity is just fine. No need to add any extra humidity to your guitar as that could cause the guitar to take on too much moisture. I only start dehumidifying at or above 55% and adding humidity when under 40%.
Agree ^^^^^

A humidifier only becomes necessary when the relative humidity is much lower than 60% for extended periods of time. Just keep your guitar in its case when you're not playing and the instrument will be fine.

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Unless you live in a very dry climate, humidification is rarely needed during Spring, Summer and Fall. When it is mostly needed is in Winter when the air outside is cold, and can't hold moisture, then it is heated inside the house, and the humidity drops into the low 30's and below. After all, we are talking about Relative Humidity (that is relative to the temperature). The RH of 30 degree air outside may be 70%, but then when heated, the RH becomes 30% pretty quickly.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

hashimAlhashimi

Post by hashimAlhashimi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Thank you all for the great answers I appreciate that .
I did remove the humidifier from the guitar now since the outside humidity now is 75% it changes between 50%-75%, im just keeping the guitar now in its case when not using it ,
Also what about if we open air conditioning in the house i can still chill with my guitar right ? Since im not sitting directly under the AC ?
when i first put the humidifier the spong get strong so fast at 12 hours after i re moisture it it stays the same as it is thats i sighn maybe the guitar doesn't need to be humidifing i guess !

What about dehumidifing the guitar do i really need it or i can just keep it in its case .!

Thank you all again

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Post by John higgon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I think it's more important to keep the humidity above 40 than to worry too much about high humidity. A very dry environment causes the wood to shrink and, ultimately, crack. Having said that, you should ideally try to keep the humidity in your room between 40 and 60, as high humidity can also cause problems, but generally not as serious as low humidity. Keeping the guitar in its case won't really help: the air in the case is the same as that in your room! A dehumidifier will keep the humidity below 60. There are plenty of guitars living happily without the luxury of a dehumidifier, however.

Return to “Luthiers”