Antonio Torres FE17

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Antonio Torres FE17

Post by Alan Hamley » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 am

Hello to you all,

I'm a new member and seeking some information and advice regard building a Antonio De Torres classical guitar copy. I have build a few guitars but never a classical the traditional way with a solera. I have a Lyon & Healy built it 1925 that was a restoration project for me which took some considerable care and time to stabilise many cracks in the body and re-top the guitar. Its history was it had been stored for many years without strings and a rodent had made themselves a home in the body of the guitar. The animal must have been bored as it chewed two chunks out of the side of the sound hole and had a field day inside feasting on the braces. It has a wide flat fingerboard and it looks like being close to the size of a Torres FE17. Originally the guitar used gut strings.

I have small hands so I thought a 50 mm nut width would be ideal comfort wise for me and maybe a 640 mm scale length.

I would appreciate any builder members who would have some suggestions and thoughts for me?

Cheers

Alan

Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Re: Antonio Torres FE17

Post by Philipp Lerche » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Welcome Alan !!

What a cute story :D the hamster family living in an old guitar <3
Cangrats on successfully replacing the top :bravo:

I really like the FE17 model, it is a wonderful & pretty magic guitar so please don't hesitate to build one.
Have seen the ones Michael Thames built ?
There is no special advice, just go for it. I mean if anything is unclear just ask here.

Do you plan to build a bending machine or will you bend the sides by hand ?

All the best and good luck ! Keep us up to date please ;)
"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am

Hi Philipp,
Thank you for the welcome.
I am still in the research stage on the Torres build. I think the sides are awfully thin and I have bent all my guitar builds on the electric pipe.
Well I need a plan or a starting point. I have a good stash of different Spruce species, rosewood and some beautiful Australian Blackwood. The FE17 is the one I think but I'm not sure of the neck blank size, scale length, nut width and a solera design to build it on. So more information gathering required. I believe the top is about a 3mm dome and the neck geometry is 2mm fall. There is really no reason why you can't alter the specs to have the guitar suit your needs. I have small hands so a 48 mm nut would suit me. Do you know what the scale length was for the FE17?
Thanks again for the welcome, seems like a fun place to be associated with.
Cheers
Alan

gjo

Post by gjo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:48 pm

What about reading the Romanillos book about Antonio de Torres? It might be that your questions will be answered and a few more questions that you have not asked yet as well.

Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Post by Philipp Lerche » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:49 pm

This forum is pretty well visited and full of nice people, so its THE place indeed ! :D
Gjo is right with the Romanillos book but regarding the FE17 I can gladly recommend this thread -->

viewtopic.php?t=107491

Especially the link to the official Torres website posted by Philosopherguy is very usefull, even if it is in spanish language. :)
You will find the scale length pretty fast I assume.

Oh and my personal preference is to have the nut width exactly 52mm.
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Robert England
Luthier

Post by Robert England » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Do a forum search -- there has been lots of discussion about the FE17 guitar. The Romanillos book has very good information. I built one based on the book and it came out very well. Good luck.
Robert

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Phipipp,
I am watching your FE17 build with interest and thank you for your tips, links and hints.
Hi Robert,
I will do a search and get into some good reading. The Romanillos book looks like a necessity. Thank you for the welcome.
My website is www.hamleyfineguitar.com if you would like to see some of my work.
I have ten years experience building now but learning everyday. For me it is a fantastic hobby and I hope to get a few more builds in a year now I have retired.
Cheers
Alan

printer2

Post by printer2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Philipp Lerche wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm

What a cute story :D the hamster family living in an old guitar <3
Fred

Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Post by Philipp Lerche » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:58 am

@ printer2 Bingo ! :lol:
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:22 am

Nice one Fred.
Here are a before and after of the Lyon Healy Parlour guitar:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Alan Hamley wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Robert,
I will do a search and get into some good reading. The Romanillos book looks like a necessity. Thank you for the welcome.

Cheers
Alan
Yes it is! Much of it is biographical. As much as it is divided into specific areas of content, valuable information for the builder is spread throughout. There is a catalog of (most of) the existing Torres guitars at the back of the book. Each one has a listing of its major dimensions, many have photographs. There is another section with detailed building plans for FE19 and SE117. For an FE17 style build, follow closely what Torres did with FE19 as it was built close to the same time so reflects his practice and thinking of that time.

And Gerhard (GJO) knows his Torres stuff! He was very helpful to me when I was starting my FE17 study some years back.

Alan Hamley
Amateur luthier

Post by Alan Hamley » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks again Doug I may be a little bit excited.
Till I joined here I was reading all sorts of conflicting information.
I am getting mighty close now.
Cheers
Alan

Return to “Luthiers”