Where do classical players stand on real wood pegs?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
attila57

Re: Where do classical players stand on real wood pegs?

Post by attila57 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:32 am
They saw this and other pegs heads I made. My pegs don't take two hands to tune, once the strings settle in the pegs work smoothly. Sometimes you have to reach over with the right hand to steady the headstock to set the peg in, but they can be turned with one hand. The cello is the same, even with good pegs you sometimes have to two hand it.
Beautiful!!!

This is why some of us are still ready to use pegs in spite of the hassle and extra time it takes.
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:40 pm

It's odd. An hour ago I tuned a ukulele with wooden friction pegs. Took me all of 15 seconds and it was flat by a semi tone or so. As a tuner I consider myself to be a bit slow. I do tune harmonically, which I think helps. I tune up to the note. If I overshoot I tune below and tune up to the note again. For some reason it seems to be easier to do it that way. With practice and some ear training I think one can get pretty quick at it.
Of course when changing strings the one to one ratio means it's quicker to get a string up to pitch. It's also easier to thread the string too.
Historicalguitars.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Stephen I see from your website that you are a builder of guitars. And I notice that many of the images of the guitars you offer have machine heads rather than pegs.

I wonder if you are also a serious player? And do you like using peg tuners?

Or perhaps if your paean to the peg is a little light hearted challenge to wake us out of our modernist rut? The latest must be the best!
Dave

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:12 am

Dave M wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 pm
Stephen I see from your website that you are a builder of guitars. And I notice that many of the images of the guitars you offer have machine heads rather than pegs.

I wonder if you are also a serious player? And do you like using peg tuners?

Or perhaps if your paean to the peg is a little light hearted challenge to wake us out of our modernist rut? The latest must be the best!
A little of all of it. And a little market research. Not so much a serious player, but I can play a bit. Most of my work does use tuners, I would not expect to make all guitars with pegs, but the times I get to make them I really enjoy it.

I like to make light weight guitars some of the time, tuners make them go off balance. Guitars with pegs are beautiful objects, I think there's room for a few more beautiful things in the world. And at the end of the day using pegs is not that difficult.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

printer2

Post by printer2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:12 am
I like to make light weight guitars some of the time, tuners make them go off balance. Guitars with pegs are beautiful objects, I think there's room for a few more beautiful things in the world. And at the end of the day using pegs is not that difficult.
My reasons to make one or two.
Fred

Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Post by Philipp Lerche » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:18 am

word up, the same here
"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Guero

Post by Guero » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

I would love to have a guitar with friction pegs!

(is PegHed the only wood peg improvement so far? It seems there is yet some work to be done.. Come on, let us go inventing some new ones!!)

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Stephen. Well said. Done well friction pegged guitars can indeed look elegant.
Dave

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Honestly I'm not sure. Is there a standard sized reamer I could buy and use cello pegs, violin etc...form my first build, I am considering pegs.

But if it is easier to buy machines I'll do that. No preference for modern or antique...just ease of use. Are bulk pegs and a basic reamer adequate for making a good peg job?

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 am

Viola pegs are roughly the right size. I used to buy what were called over sized viola pegs. 1:30 is the standard taper for a reamer. It's also best to make or buy a peg shaver.
Historicalguitars.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 am

Don't forget cellos also have wooden pegs. The only instrument in the violin family that has machine tuners is the upright double bass.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Living in a climate with large swings in humidity, I would be reluctant to have an instrument with a peg head. Sure, I'm sure lots of people in my area have such instruments (all of those bowed instruments), but I don't have a good reason to have one on a modern guitar. If I were playing lute or a period guitar, I might feel compelled to learn how to maintain that type of tuning system, as it is traditional for those instruments. For a modern guitar, I don't find the aesthetics of the peg head that compelling.
:-)
Just my opinion... (or if you prefer, you can label it a prejudice. ;-) )
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm

My opinions of friction pegs aside, there's that video of Grisha Goyrachev at GSI playing a Torres, and he is sheepish about tuning it. When he gets asked why, he says "I don't do pegs." :lol:

Personally, I can barely keep myself in tune through a whole concert with Rubners on! Peg tuners look and I could imagine feel great, but I feel like I would hate actually dealing with them day in and out.

The only exeption I would make would be a period instrument.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Return to “Luthiers”