Stephen Faulk- Cedar top Hinoki back/sides w/ pegs!

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Re: Stephen Faulk- Cedar top Hinoki back/sides w/ pegs!

Post by Philipp Lerche » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Absolutely gorgeous !
Maybe I'm wrong but since I read "Akune,Japan" on the inside, I have the feeling to understand your Japan influenced design.
Hats off ! Very beautiful and simple, I love it.
"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 am

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I moved to Japan four years ago to help my wife with her father after her mother died. Before I moved to Japan I was already a mature guitar maker and Japan has not really influenced my work directly. But since I actually live here, I used the name of the town I live in on my label. Sometimes I also hand write San Francisco or use my old label, it looks more 'Spanish'. It's been a local source of pride among Akune people that I recognize the town on the label. Akune is also famous for the manufacture of Wilson Baseball Gloves.

My main influence in guitar making are Andaluz flamenco guitars and a few Madrid makers. I've had the chance to spend a lot of time with guitars my Reyes, Barba, Manuel de la Chica, Gerundino and Santos Hernandez. Those makers are the core of my understanding and aesthetic, dare I say, the modern Japanese makers are mainly into Ramirez and Archangel Fernandez. When they do go for Spanish work you see the Archangel influence quite a lot.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Philipp Lerche
Amateur luthier

Post by Philipp Lerche » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for clearing it up and sharing this part of your story !
It is a nice add-on after my visit your website.

Yeah, it was just that I saw the bottom of your beautiful Hinoki guitar, on the last picture,
which immediately reminded me of japanese shoji .
So I thought that can't be a coincidence.

Thanks also for sharing the builders that influenced you a lot. Things like this are high value information for me.
Though until now, I never ever had a master class guitar in my hands. :)
"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done."
Bruce Lee

Best regards
Phil

Return to “Luthiers”