last fret setting

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

last fret setting

Post by geoff-bristol » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:27 pm

Any one else do this ? Its actually easier to finish up. Slot cut as normal - then main part blocked with plastic - end filled with ebony dust and superglue. Fret then notched back on the tang and end rounded.

Imagefret-detail by Geoff Richings, on Flickr

Setting and glueing the bridge on no 5 - Hernandez y Aguado ( 2nd ) - walnut - 4 piece top alpine spruce.

Imageno5-bridge-clamps by Geoff Richings, on Flickr

Position pinned with two 2mm brass pins - middle packer levels the bridge top ( 1mm lower at saddle slot ) End clamps slot in to give good access for glueing and setting the bridge in position ( hot glued ) Nuts are sufficient pressure tightened by hand. Bridge chalk fitted to domed top.

Top has been polished nearly to finish - then scraped clean at the bridge. I left the back sides and neck on this one bare until the bridge was fitted.
Polishing the top part way gives a nice surface for masking up when glueing etc. Once dry - its easy enough to finish off, with less hassle around the bridge foot.

Not sure what no 6 will be ? I think back to Torres - and a normal 2 piece top - maybe maple ?
Last edited by geoff-bristol on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

vesa

Re: last fret setting

Post by vesa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:54 am

An interesting solution you have, Geoff.
Divided 19th fret ends are generally accepted as they are even it is the ugliest looking part of the cg. Could this be the way to do it?
Would you post a pic when finished and stringed?
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:22 am

Yes - I will - just set it up today rough for saddle/nut etc. I still have to polish it. WIll post a few pics before that.
I need to do some of the 2nd and 3rd guitars finished. Its very similar to no 2 ( same rosette )
There are pic on my flickr pages - https://flic.kr/s/aHskPtBPGv

I suppose the dead end slots could be done another way - ie when on the slotting jig - just cut the last slot very light for a position. Then it maybe would be easy enough to deepen them outwards leaving a blind end ? That would leave less to fill on the end grain. The slot as it crosses the end grain causes a large scar for a very little slot ! Less to fill.

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Post by John higgon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 am

I'm not really following you, Geoff. What do you mean when you talk about filling the slot with plastic, and notching the tang on the fret? Have you filed off the teeth on the tang? Looks nice and neat, however you did whatever you did!

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:11 am

All I do to the fret is notch the end of the tang ( where the fret is rounded over ) back about 3mm. As you would if fretting a board with side banding.
The slot is temporarily filled with something that keeps the it open - so only the end bit gets filled. Remove the packer and you have a slot with a dead end. Sand back and polish up the fill.
On ebony its hard to see the filler ( sueprglue and ebony dust ).

edit - a pic

fill slot with plastic packer - fill end of slot with ebony filler ( marked white ) Remove plastic. Trim fet end as shown to overhang end of slot - keeps it tidy and makes it easier to position the fret.
last-fret.jpg

I
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert England
Luthier

Post by Robert England » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 am

Very nice idea! Thanks for posting it.
Robert

Return to “Luthiers”