Buzzing from a brand new Alhambra 7c

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Vincent2046

Buzzing from a brand new Alhambra 7c

Post by Vincent2046 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi everybody,

I just bought the Alhambra 7c few days ago.

Here are the problems:

When I played the open G and B, there is buzz from the bridge area The G string is buzzing more than the B.

If I play G note on D String or other string, it buzzes too. All the frets on those two strings are fine.

I took all other strings off and the problem not solved. I reinstall all the strings and the problem is still there.

Should I take it back to the shop or is there anything I missed.

Thank you.

George Crocket

Re: Buzzing from a brand new Alhambra 7c

Post by George Crocket » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi Vincent. Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Do you know which strings are mounted on the guitar? I think Alhambra uses D'addario with their new factory guitars, but the vendor may have put on different strings.

It may be as easy as changing the strings.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:39 pm

First thing to check, that ends of strings are not able to vibrate against things. Second, that tuning machines are properly fitted and nothng is loose.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 am

The question I have is if the guitar was played at the shop. If so, and it did not buzz there, it is likely that during the trip from the shop to the home something changed--like a string resting on something, etc. Rule out strings touching the top and at the machines. The above assumes the ride from the shop to home was uneventful including facing summer heat (as in having the guitar in the trunk or left in the car for a lengthy time). If all appears well with strings not touching it might be good to take it back to the shop and let the person chase down the buzz. Saddle imperfections could cause buzzing but I would assume this would have been heard at the shop--unless the shop was some loud shred zone such as GC.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Vincent2046

Post by Vincent2046 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:16 am

tormodg wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:04 pm
Do you know which strings are mounted on the guitar? I think Alhambra uses D'addario with their new factory guitars, but the vendor may have put on different strings.

It may be as easy as changing the strings.
On the tag of the guitar, it shows that it is the D'addario. I will try to change it.

It was rather a disappoint experience while shopping for a classical guitar. At first, I wanted a Yamaha cg192c. However, after tried two in two different store, I found both of them are buzz at different frets. one of them was determined by the shop as with a big flaw. I thought maybe the quality control of Yamaha is different nowadays. So, I changed to the higher one as Alhambra 7c. There were 3 at the shop, two had big flaw in the paint. I took the third one and tried it at the shop for every frets on the fingerboard. However, I forget to check the open string on G and B.

Vincent2046

Post by Vincent2046 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:18 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:39 pm
First thing to check, that ends of strings are not able to vibrate against things. Second, that tuning machines are properly fitted and nothng is loose.
Thank you for all your guys post.

Yes, I made sure that the end of the string did not touching with the top board or anything else.

No, all the six tuners are fitted tight.

Vincent2046

Post by Vincent2046 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:25 am

Keith wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 am
The question I have is if the guitar was played at the shop. If so, and it did not buzz there, it is likely that during the trip from the shop to the home something changed--like a string resting on something, etc. Rule out strings touching the top and at the machines. The above assumes the ride from the shop to home was uneventful including facing summer heat (as in having the guitar in the trunk or left in the car for a lengthy time). If all appears well with strings not touching it might be good to take it back to the shop and let the person chase down the buzz. Saddle imperfections could cause buzzing but I would assume this would have been heard at the shop--unless the shop was some loud shred zone such as GC.
Yes, I tested the guitar at the shop with all the frets, but not the open G and B and other open strings. I also bought a hard case and put the guitar in the case and took it home in the trunk. the outside temperature was around 25 C that day, a little bit chill when I brought it home. So, there should not be any significant change made during the transportation.

The buzz only occurs when I play the open G with more power, or play G on other strings. It sounds like from the saddle area.

Would the saddle imperfection only causes buzz on certain note?

Vincent2046

Post by Vincent2046 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:28 am

the buzz only happens when I play the open g and b with a heavier stroke with thumb or the G note on 1, 2, 3 strings with same loudness.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Have you been able to determine where exactly the buzz is coming from? The best way to do this is to keep playing those open strings while having someone else try to put different parts of the guitar such as the strings past the nut on the head stock. Sometimes a buzz sounds like it is coming from one place when in reality it is coming from another.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Vincent2046 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:28 am
the buzz only happens when I play the open g and b with a heavier stroke with thumb or the G note on 1, 2, 3 strings with same loudness.
Just in case the buzz is caused from very low setup of the nut, you can check this out by;

Pressing the 3rd fret, and check the clearance between string and 1st fret. There should be a tiny gap ideally. If there is no gap at all, the buzz may begin from the nut.
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 pm

I also experienced this a while ago on my Alhambra Linea Profesional. I took it to a luthier friend who spent 2 seconds using fine sandpaper inside the groove in the nut where the G string goes. That solved it.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 am

A bit of sandpaper in the nut slot... maybe...Sure take it back to the shop, they can service it...Or you can do it yourself.

Likely buzzing at the nut slot. You re-installed the same strings? Worn strings sometimes buzz if they are stretched out good and old.

Does the saddle sit nice and tight in the bridge? I think it's probably just a minor setup issue and your dealer should take care of you if this is a recent purchase.

Generally a piece of fine grit sand paper and polishing the nut slots can help out a lot of problems in reasonably good factory made guitars like yours. The little details cost more to make, and many people don't fuss over a little buzz...I know hard to fathom but true for the average joe player.

Good luck, don't worry.

attila57

Post by attila57 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Vincent2046 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:28 am
Hi Vincent,

If it reassures you, all buzzes have a reason, and in the end, by careful thinking, testing and examination, the reason is usually found... In most cases it is fairly easy to solve the problem. In very rare occasions one might need to resort to tougher measures, like removing the fretboard or glueing back a strut or brace inside the body. I've never heard about a case that wasn't possible to be solved in the end. From the distance however, it is difficult to tell the exact reason, only general advice.

Good luck and don't give up!

Attila :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Return to “Luthiers”