Newly completed

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
jim watts

Newly completed

Post by jim watts » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:40 am

I just completed this guitar over the weekend and thought I'd post a couple of shots of it.
The top was braced in the style of Jeffery Elliotts open harmonic bar design. The back and sides are East Indian Rosewood, the top is Englemann Spruce and the finish is French polished. I'm really happy with the sound and playability of it.
braced top small.jpg
ML front view completed.jpg
ML headstock complete small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

senunkan

Re: Newly completed

Post by senunkan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 am

Looks great, Jim! :bravo:
All the while I like both open traverse brace design (E.g. Elliot, Romanillos), both in terms of looks and sound.
I find that the sound is open right from the start.

Just a question, I see Elliot added a short "brace / pad" below the 2 traverse brace.
For those side braces and the outer fan brace that crosses the "brace / pad", is it shave away totally?
Or is there some kind of lap joints?
As both the fan brace and side brace are not really tall at the point of crossover.
Sen CL Goh
2013 Sen Goh (S - IR)
2010 Sen Goh (S - IR)
1996 Ross Gutmeier (C - IR)
Alhambra 4P
Yamaha CG110

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:22 am

Nice, Jim!

Pat

jim watts

Post by jim watts » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:45 am

Thanks guys!
Sen, the fan that passes through the opening is notched to pass over the patch. The patch is only .5 mm thick.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 am

Looks great Jim, and I like the photography of the bracing shot. Have you tried a number of different designs? If so I'm wondering how you like this versus others you've used?

Best,

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 am

senunkan wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 am
Looks great, Jim! :bravo:
All the while I like both open traverse brace design (E.g. Elliot, Romanillos), both in terms of looks and sound.
I find that the sound is open right from the start.

Just a question, I see Elliot added a short "brace / pad" below the 2 traverse brace.
For those side braces and the outer fan brace that crosses the "brace / pad", is it shave away totally?
Or is there some kind of lap joints?
As both the fan brace and side brace are not really tall at the point of crossover.
Those are small slits of spruce that are .5mm thick. They're typically glued on first and then the bar has small recesses that the slits fit into. They prevent cracks and reinforce that area while still keeping the whole area flexible and responsive.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

johnparchem
Amateur luthier

Post by johnparchem » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Looks real good! I love the picture of the braced top. I have been considering using Jeff's bracing pattern for my next classical guitar build.

vesa

Post by vesa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks for posting Jim.
Have you made or tried other OLHB guitars (Torres, Bouchet, Romanillos)?
Would be interesting to hear how this construction works seen from different angles.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Fine looking instrument, Jim! Always fun to try new bracing. I have left the Romanillos open Transverse Bars for closed now, but still use the scooped TB's, full height at the sides.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

senunkan

Post by senunkan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Chris Sobel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 am

Those are small slits of spruce that are .5mm thick. They're typically glued on first and then the bar has small recesses that the slits fit into. They prevent cracks and reinforce that area while still keeping the whole area flexible and responsive.

Chris
jim watts wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:45 am
Thanks guys!
Sen, the fan that passes through the opening is notched to pass over the patch. The patch is only .5 mm thick.
Thanks Chris and Jim for the explanation.
I didn't realise it's only 0.5mm thick, that would make perfect sense to notch the brace over the pad.
Sen CL Goh
2013 Sen Goh (S - IR)
2010 Sen Goh (S - IR)
1996 Ross Gutmeier (C - IR)
Alhambra 4P
Yamaha CG110

jim watts

Post by jim watts » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 am

Chris Sobel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 am
Looks great Jim, and I like the photography of the bracing shot. Have you tried a number of different designs? If so I'm wondering how you like this versus others you've used?

Best,

Chris
Chris, I have tried a lot of various bracing designs, more than I should have! Sometimes if one design doesn't work out so well I'll re-top the guitar. But I learn a little something from them all (I hope). After trying many modern patterns, I'm finding I'm drawn to the more traditional instruments in the long run. This guitar is not quite as loud as some of the other patterns I've used, but I really like the tonal response of this instrument. I have a student building a sister guitar to this one and am anxious to see how it comes out. Also, part of the decision for me to build this pattern was based on my past experience at the GAL listening sessions at their convention. I would try to take notes on the instruments in the sessions I liked and discovered that I liked most of the instruments made in this style. So after Jeff published his article it seemed the perfect time.

Jon Gillard
Amateur luthier

Post by Jon Gillard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 am

Great work Jim, would be good to hear a recording
Facebook Gillard Guitars
Instagram gillard_guitars

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 am

:bravo: Great looking instrument & a very nice touch on the rosette with the purflings on the side.........
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

Return to “Luthiers”