They ask, why can't he build something normal? - Guitalele anyone?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
printer2

They ask, why can't he build something normal? - Guitalele anyone?

Post by printer2 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:04 am

I'm bad, I should not be building, but it is hard not to. I was doing good but I became reacquainted with a woman who plays a ukulele for fun with a group of people (it is ok, she has a classical guitar that she will never part with) and I thought it would be enough of an excuse to get together if I joined in. But I needed a uke and I could not bring myself to buy one. But I had a brace on one hand and was told to to take it easy otherwise my bad tendons would not get better. So I compromised. I made a neck to slap on a cigar box, shake, and instant instrument.

Actually does not sound too bad, well for a box. Then I had another inspired moment, why not make a six string one to keep at work for those occasional slow days? (Anybody seeing the pattern of any excuse to build something?) After going around in circles for a bit I ended up with what you see here.

I used spruce for a neck on the other one, a spruce 2"x4" block as a neck, oak from the neighbor's tree for the back and sides.

An action shot building on the radius dish. Not worth the trouble to build a mold. Gluing the end blocks to the back, 2"x2" spacer to hold them in place and parallel to each other. After that glue the sides to them. Sanded the sides to the radius so there are no gaps between them and the back so I could get away without binding.

Just 12" long and 9" wide, it is going to be a cute little bugger.

Look Ma, no linings. Oh alright, I'll put some in.

Tried to keep things simple with the bracing.

Then I got nervous, the ukes I see online have much more robust braces. And I have two more strings. I wonder if these are enough?

Better be ok, no getting inside to shave them with this sound hole. Sound hole wrapped with walnut.

A rough carve of the neck, good enough to take a picture.

Some more work done, good thing my physiotherapist doesn't know about this one. Hand was sore after getting this far.

Need to decide which way to go joining the neck to the body and then some sanding to get ready for finish. Then onto the bridge.
Fred

Michael.N.

Re: They ask, why can't he build something normal? - Guitalele anyone?

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:45 am

I made one a few years ago. The bracing pretty much matches your first 3 fan strut pattern exactly. Can't remember if I used linings. I'll have to check next time I see it. Fun little instruments.
Historicalguitars.

Guitar-ded

Re: They ask, why can't he build something normal? - Guitalele anyone?

Post by Guitar-ded » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Hey, as long as you're having fun. :roll:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Return to “Luthiers”