Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Bsandesh
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Bsandesh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:48 am

Hello,

I dinged my brand new Yairi Masterworks CYM75 , I was changing the high E string when the string broke apart.
Lesson learnt, I ordered a carboard protection bib and also a transparent bridge tape.

I have attached the pictures of the ding, I have two questions.

1) From the pic, is the ding too deep, so that it affects the sound.?

2) I can add pro coverage from Guitar Centre by paying $250 or so .I guess they can do something about the ding.
Is it worth to fix this ding or I can leave it as it is?

Appreciate the help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Yairi CYM75

wchymeus
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by wchymeus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:19 am

So many guitars have suffered the same... feel sorry for you.

From the pic, I don't think the string broke appart... it seems that the knot was not tight enough and it slept with tension and there you go with a whiplash mark. Only one loop slipping can produce such a mark (tops are tender).

No sound issue and it does not seem too deep. I'd put some finish oil on it and tell myself that I from now on should protect my guitar when I replace the strings (carton board is enough)... and triple the wrap on the e string.
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by joachim33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 am

wchymeus wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:19 am
So many guitars have suffered the same... feel sorry for you.

From the pic, I don't think the string broke appart... it seems that the knot was not tight enough and it slept with tension and there you go with a whiplash mark. Only one loop slipping can produce such a mark (tops are tender).

No sound issue and it does not seem too deep. I'd put some finish oil on it and tell myself that I from now on should protect my guitar when I replace the strings (carton board is enough)... and triple the wrap on the e string.
With carbons strings I do quadruple wraps. Carbon E1-strings are quite flexible - having one extra is easy to do and can't harm.

For trad. nylon I am also with 3 wraps on E1.

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by joachim33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:44 am

Bsandesh wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:48 am
Hello,

I dinged my brand new Yairi Masterworks CYM75 , I was changing the high E string when the string broke apart.
Lesson learnt, I ordered a carboard protection bib and also a transparent bridge tape.

I have attached the pictures of the ding, I have two questions.

1) From the pic, is the ding too deep, so that it affects the sound.?

2) I can add pro coverage from Guitar Centre by paying $250 or so .I guess they can do something about the ding.
Is it worth to fix this ding or I can leave it as it is?

Appreciate the help!
Your new strings are not fitted correctly. The ends of the trebles touch the top. The D is not behind the tie block.

I would leave the ding as is, but I am not a luthier, so don't take this as advice.

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:52 am

There are several Utube 'How to tie Classical Guitar Strings' videos that would serve you well to view. Good luck.
Hauser III 2014!

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5943
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 am

Unfortunate, but that happens from time to time. Just relax and enjoy the guitar.

Bsandesh
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Bsandesh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 am

wchymeus wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:19 am
So many guitars have suffered the same... feel sorry for you.

From the pic, I don't think the string broke appart... it seems that the knot was not tight enough and it slept with tension and there you go with a whiplash mark. Only one loop slipping can produce such a mark (tops are tender).

No sound issue and it does not seem too deep. I'd put some finish oil on it and tell myself that I from now on should protect my guitar when I replace the strings (carton board is enough)... and triple the wrap on the e string.
Thanks, I will use 3 loops on all Treble strings from next time.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Yairi CYM75

Bsandesh
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Bsandesh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:54 am

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:44 am
Bsandesh wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:48 am
Hello,

I dinged my brand new Yairi Masterworks CYM75 , I was changing the high E string when the string broke apart.
Lesson learnt, I ordered a carboard protection bib and also a transparent bridge tape.

I have attached the pictures of the ding, I have two questions.

1) From the pic, is the ding too deep, so that it affects the sound.?

2) I can add pro coverage from Guitar Centre by paying $250 or so .I guess they can do something about the ding.
Is it worth to fix this ding or I can leave it as it is?

Appreciate the help!
Your new strings are not fitted correctly. The ends of the trebles touch the top. The D is not behind the tie block.

I would leave the ding as is, but I am not a luthier, so don't take this as advice.
Ok..I always used to leave the treble strings a little longer. , I guess will have to trim it from now.
Oops Didn't even notice the D string was not behind the tie block.. will redo
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Yairi CYM75

khayes
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by khayes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Bsandesh wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:54 am
joachim33 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:44 am
Bsandesh wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:48 am
Hello,

I dinged my brand new Yairi Masterworks CYM75 , I was changing the high E string when the string broke apart.
Lesson learnt, I ordered a carboard protection bib and also a transparent bridge tape.

I have attached the pictures of the ding, I have two questions.

1) From the pic, is the ding too deep, so that it affects the sound.?

2) I can add pro coverage from Guitar Centre by paying $250 or so .I guess they can do something about the ding.
Is it worth to fix this ding or I can leave it as it is?

Appreciate the help!
Your new strings are not fitted correctly. The ends of the trebles touch the top. The D is not behind the tie block.

I would leave the ding as is, but I am not a luthier, so don't take this as advice.
Ok..I always used to leave the treble strings a little longer. , I guess will have to trim it from now.
Oops Didn't even notice the D string was not behind the tie block.. will redo
Better check that low E as well.
Ken

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:39 pm

This happened to me overnight - don't think it can only happen with string changes

You need a King-on protector. It comes with a strip to put behind the bridge for this reason.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by joachim33 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Bsandesh wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:54 am
joachim33 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:44 am
Bsandesh wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:48 am
Hello,

I dinged my brand new Yairi Masterworks CYM75 , I was changing the high E string when the string broke apart.
Lesson learnt, I ordered a carboard protection bib and also a transparent bridge tape.

I have attached the pictures of the ding, I have two questions.

1) From the pic, is the ding too deep, so that it affects the sound.?

2) I can add pro coverage from Guitar Centre by paying $250 or so .I guess they can do something about the ding.
Is it worth to fix this ding or I can leave it as it is?

Appreciate the help!
Your new strings are not fitted correctly. The ends of the trebles touch the top. The D is not behind the tie block.

I would leave the ding as is, but I am not a luthier, so don't take this as advice.
Ok..I always used to leave the treble strings a little longer. , I guess will have to trim it from now.
Oops Didn't even notice the D string was not behind the tie block.. will redo
The issue is not the length. The issue is the touching of the soundboard. You can get very bad buzzes.

Bsandesh
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Bsandesh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:39 pm
This happened to me overnight - don't think it can only happen with string changes

You need a King-on protector. It comes with a strip to put behind the bridge for this reason.
I ordered something similar on "strings by mail" a clear plastic goes under the bridge. Also a cardboard bib while changing strings.
Does these dings gets worse as you keep playing and the guitar gets older?
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Yairi CYM75

Bsandesh
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Bsandesh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:41 pm

[/quote]
Better check that low E as well.
[/quote]

Correct, did 2 loops on the bass strings.For next string change, 2 loops on bass and 3 loops on the trebles
Thanks.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Yairi CYM75

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Bsandesh wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:39 pm
This happened to me overnight - don't think it can only happen with string changes

You need a King-on protector. It comes with a strip to put behind the bridge for this reason.
I ordered something similar on "strings by mail" a clear plastic goes under the bridge. Also a cardboard bib while changing strings.
Does these dings gets worse as you keep playing and the guitar gets older?
No it is only a superficial crack
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Imbler
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Ding while changing strings on a brand new Guitar

Post by Imbler » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Also, for insurance you can melt a little ball on the end of the nylon strings that helps prevent them from slipping too far if by chance they do slip.

For obvious reasons, melt the ball on the string away from the guitar before stringing.

Return to “Luthiers”