new Steve Ganz guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
fraim

new Steve Ganz guitar

Post by fraim » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:02 am

so i'm going to be getting (on an approval) a steve ganz beauty. it has a spruce soundboard with lightly flamed maple sides & maple back with a mahogany neck. it looks stunning & the sound is beautiful. this will be my 1st luthier built guitar as my current guitar is an alhambra 4p. i looked into a few luthiers that are here & recommended but there was something about steve's guitars that drew me in.

if anybody is currently playing a steve ganz can you post your experience?

David Norton

Re: new Steve Ganz guitar

Post by David Norton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Very nice. When's the expected arrival date?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:58 pm

I visited Steve earlier this week--I think I saw your guitar! It's a beauty, for sure.

I own a Hauser build that he finished last year, called "Pluto". You can still find photos of it on his blog. It wasn't commissioned, but one out of several that I played at his shop. It just had something that grabbed me. A year later, I'm still very happy with it.

Now I've got my eye on his Romanillos style guitars.. Let us know how you like yours.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Congratulations fraim! I saw Steve last night. He told me about "a guy from Dallas", and I have seen your guitar-elect as well. It's a beauty.

I own a rare cedar top from Steve, Solidarity. I love it. Have had it for about a year and a half. Steve is a great guy and builds a beautiful instrument.

You can find videos of mine by searching my posts or visit beaugy99 on UTube. These are all student submissions for monthly Delcamp lessons. Someday I'll go back and try to achieve more perfection on some of these pieces.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope you love it!
IMG_3985.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

fraim

Post by fraim » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 pm

"Sombrio"
by steve ganz

arriving: 19\08\2017

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:00 am

A beauty.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

fraim

Post by fraim » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:25 am

so i received "sombrio" on saturday. it truly is a beautiful instrument & the sound is spectacular! we're slowly getting to know each other. it's nut is 53mm & my other 2 guitars are 50mm & there is a bit of a learning curve to position the left hand fingers to settle down a hair differently. it's been very fun so far! thanks steve ganz!!

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:38 am

Won't take long and you may like the extra space for classical playing.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Fraim
I'm pleased by your reaction. Kind words always are received with appreciation. Thanks. Based on our conversations, I was convinced that guitar and you would fit one another. Sweet.
Steve

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Beautiful! Congratulations to both Steve and new owner. Is the center stripe Blackwood?
CE Sobel Guitars

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:30 am

Chris Sobel wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 pm
Beautiful! Congratulations to both Steve and new owner. Is the center stripe Blackwood?
Yes Chris, the center panel is African Blackwood. I have a few pieces hanging around the shop. I like using it in center panels of 3 piece backs and I often use this design. I
I have a few more pics of it, and a bit of narrative, on my website.
http://ganzguitars.com/wp/index.php/aug ... lable-now/.
Steve

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks for the close up, I really like how the Blackwood is framed in by the purflings and runs seamlessly into the heel. I wonder if it's enough material that you can tell a difference in sound?
CE Sobel Guitars

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Chris Sobel wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 am
Thanks for the close up, I really like how the Blackwood is framed in by the purflings and runs seamlessly into the heel. I wonder if it's enough material that you can tell a difference in sound?
I like the appearance of the dark bindings merging into the center panel. We share that appreciation.
Like so many things about guitar building and evaluating materials and methods ... my instinct says yes to the difference in sound, but my rationality says it's impossible to say for sure in practice. The back alone does behave a bit differently. Blackwood is heavy. There are too many other variables that affect sound. I can say that I've made an almost identical guitar (10 years ago) with a similar sound attributes. Every piece of wood is different and it's hard to swap them into a guitar that's already built. A guitar is more than the sum of it's parts.
Steve

fraim

Post by fraim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:10 pm

ok, so i'm a day short of 2wks with "sombrio".

1st off...it's fun as heck to play & it's hard for me to put down. my slight problem with the bit of width difference..53mm vs 50mm...vanishished after the 1st week & i can seamlessly go between my guitars.

2nd...it's fun as heck to play & sounds great. my teacher says it'll sound even better when it opens up. i presume that will happen the more i play it but when does that fully happen + or - ? i put in 2+hrs per day playing.

3rd... using a footstool hurts my back after a while & i have a suction cup ergoplay for my other 2 guitars. i'm advised by my teacher to not use it on this guitar. anyone have a recommendation other than using a footstool? i see sbm have cushions. are they any good?
thanks

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:47 pm

I've used a D'Oro with suction cups for 1.5 years on my Ganz Solidarity with no ill effects. Steve himself uses a Gitano or similar I think.

By the way, I've observed the effort and time Steve puts into his French polish. There is a lot of workmanship there.

I can't comment on how long a spruce top takes to "open up." I think I read cedar is quicker.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Luthiers”