new Steve Ganz guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
fraim

Re: new Steve Ganz guitar

Post by fraim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:58 pm

thanks rick!
i can imagine the time & effort to french polish. but if both are using the suction cups eith no ill effects... i guess i can too...seeet!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 pm

I've read (at SBM?) that you want a French polish to cure for six months before using suction cups. But that's entirely anecdotal. I'm using the Guitarlift and just love it. I couldn't get other devices to work. It uses suction cups. My guitar is French polished and well cured. I've had no issues whatsoever with the cups marring the polish--or slipping for that matter.

There's a thread on the Guitarlift in the Ergonomics forum here.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Fraim, as Rick observes the finish tolerates suction cups (any that I know of on typical supports). A couple of things to note. Keep the suction cups and guitar clean. Your results with the supports may vary. When they want to stop sticking, a drop if olive oil rejuvenates their suction. I like the Gitano (I have the old model with two suction cups) because it easily fits in the case. With some guitar/case combinations I just leave it on the guitar in the case. I have at times left if on a guitar for weeks at a time, although I don't recommend that.

It's good know that it's fun as heck X 2. I love knowing that.

My experience about opening up is that the guitars change quite a bit with playing, as does the players ability to understand the guitar (playing and listening). If you are attentive, I think you will notice a series of small "Aha" moments about this evolution, rather than a huge difference in sound in (for example) one year.

That said, when I hear a guitar that is a few years old, I am often quite amazed at what has happened with the guitar 's development... Sort of like seeing a child as an toddler, and then years pass and only later in adulthood.
Steve

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:54 am

Steve,
I really liked the Romanillos style guitar you had in Vancouver last january, at the VCGS exhibit. Very nice sounding instrument with plenty of volume and tone character. The string response was great. Fun guitar to play. I cannot remember the back and side wood. Top was spruce of course (how could a Romanillos style be made of cedar??) but was the back and sides Brazilian?

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 am

Marcus,

You played that guitar? Cool. Thanks for trying it, and the kind words. We should get together more often. At these exhibits usually there are quiet times, but this one was so short and abbreviated that I can't remember hanging out like we have done in the past.

That was Brazilian. Very dark. Double sides and back (slight sacrilege, but I think Jose would approve the overall result.) Basically otherwise true to the Romanillos (ala Ganz) tradition. That vein has been good for me. I do get distracted with other styles, but I enjoy building in this style/tradition.

Allow me to offer pics, and even a sound sample of that guitar, here : http://ganzguitars.com/wp/index.php/aug ... -for-sale/ .... seem more familiar now?

I'll be showing it (and others) at La Guitarra in San Luis Obispo later this month.
Steve

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Steve,
Yeah it was a short show. I brought one guitar - my brazilian/ lutz spruce.
No offense, but your sound clip does not do it justice, lol! But I guess that's par for the course. I really liked it in person when I played it.
Nice to see you're doing the V-joint too..

So by double back, do you mean just a laminate of cypress (it looks like a light wood) inside of the Brazilian RW? Or is there a layer of Nomex in there too?

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 pm

oops
Last edited by Steve Ganz on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:57 pm

No offense taken. It was me playing! You are probably a better player. I should get you to do my demos when Scott Tennant is not available.
:)

Laminated. It's the first time I've done that on a back.
Steve

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 pm
No offense taken. It was me playing! You are probably a better player. I should get you to do my demos.
No. I'm not good enough to do my own demos.....I think I am OK, until I go back and listen to the recordings, and then I realize I'm much better as a builder than a player...and I can live with that :)

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 pm

His Choro has improved!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 pm
His Choro has improved!
Thanks Rick. That was only the first part... I often get exhausted when playing that piece.
Steve

CT20

Post by CT20 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 am

Beautiful guitar.

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 pm

I just bought 'New Moon' from Steve Ganz - a 2015 that needed a new top (European spruce). It's exquisite - here are some pictures from his website - http://ganzguitars.com/wp/index.php/gan ... -for-sale/
When not playing it I just look at it - a real work of art! Hats off to Steve!
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

mando48

Post by mando48 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

I remember when he first started building. He has just gotten better and better over the years. I would not hesitate buying a Steve Ganz build!

fraim

Post by fraim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:08 pm

saw the pictures of "new moon"...wow! beautiful guitar!!

as for "sombrio", i'm still enjoying listening to the sounds! my teacher says he can hear the bass opening up. if so it's because he hears the guitar 1x every 2wks & i play it 2hrs every day & it's sneaking up on me.

anyway...good luck with "new moon"!!

Return to “Luthiers”