Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
Tomzooki
Posts: 1506
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 am
Location: Quebec city, Canada

Re: Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:20 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:39 pm
You better not even think about carbon strings on that :)

Go gut.
I will disappoint you, I will probably stay away from gut. I played viola da gamba for some years, with gut strings, and I live in Quebec city, where the climate is very changing, so I have a very good idea of the nightmare gut would be for me :lol: Furthermore I play with nails, very short nails - a bit shorter than the tip of my fingers, but my nails come in contact with the strings, so I would kill the poor gut strings within minutes. So it will be Savarez Corum or Cantiga for the basses, Seaguar Premier fluorocarbon for 3rd and 2nd strings, for the first string I will have to do some tests.
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

powderedtoastman
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:15 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 pm

That's looking great! I hope we'll get some kind of sound sample when it comes together!

You might look at Aquila nylgut strings. I'm quite happy with those on my current romantic guitar, and I plan to use them on the next one as well.
The Ambra 800 trebles seem actually more similar to gut than I thought they would be. At first I didn't like the scratchy texture (they are rectified) but I'm getting used to it. And the trebles last quite a long time. Also if I remember to pre-stretch them before I put them on, they actually settle into tune pretty quickly. I once took my guitar to open mic just a day after re-stringing, because I came home and found they were staying in tune well enough already!

User avatar
Tomzooki
Posts: 1506
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 am
Location: Quebec city, Canada

Re: Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Post by Tomzooki » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:32 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 pm
That's looking great! I hope we'll get some kind of sound sample when it comes together!

You might look at Aquila nylgut strings. I'm quite happy with those on my current romantic guitar, and I plan to use them on the next one as well.
The Ambra 800 trebles seem actually more similar to gut than I thought they would be. At first I didn't like the scratchy texture (they are rectified) but I'm getting used to it. And the trebles last quite a long time. Also if I remember to pre-stretch them before I put them on, they actually settle into tune pretty quickly. I once took my guitar to open mic just a day after re-stringing, because I came home and found they were staying in tune well enough already!
I know the Aquila new Nylgut strings, the Albastro, they are really nice, but I have one problem: the 1st string takes long to settle, and once it is settled it is already all scratched by my nails :( And honestly I think they sound very « nylon » , to my ears carbon is much more closer to gut (not surprising, fluorocarbon density is closer to gut than nylon). I never played guitar with gut, but I played viola da gamba for some years, sometimes in early music ensembles, so I have tasted it in some ways.

I tried also the romantic guitar strings - rectified - made by Aquila, on my little Lacoste copy. I knew they were very low tension, and indeed it was way too low for me and for that guitar, which is 630mm. So it is not an option for a 607mm stauffer....
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

User avatar
Tomzooki
Posts: 1506
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 am
Location: Quebec city, Canada

Re: Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Post by Tomzooki » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:53 am

Almost done!!!!!

Image

Image

Image

Image
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Carlos Castilla
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Fayetteville NC

Re: Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Post by Carlos Castilla » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 am

https://youtu.be/ATlQ8uH_pVI
Congrats! I also have a Stauffer replica made by the great Scot Tremblay. Here is a video of it:)
Staufer 1830 Replica by Scot Tremblay
Andres Marvi 2015

powderedtoastman
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:15 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Nice to see this one coming together... pretty quickly too!
Carlos Castilla wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 am
https://youtu.be/ATlQ8uH_pVI
Congrats! I also have a Stauffer replica made by the great Scot Tremblay. Here is a video of it:)
That is a great looking and sounding guitar! Fantastic sound on that piano+guitar album you did also. I make sure to listen to it once in a while!

I'm a big fan of Scot, expecting to get a guitar from him pretty soon myself. That meant a much longer waiting time than the one in this thread, but I am excited!

Carlos Castilla
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Fayetteville NC

Re: Building of my 8 string Stauffer guitar

Post by Carlos Castilla » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:02 pm
Nice to see this one coming together... pretty quickly too!
Carlos Castilla wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 am
https://youtu.be/ATlQ8uH_pVI
Congrats! I also have a Stauffer replica made by the great Scot Tremblay. Here is a video of it:)
That is a great looking and sounding guitar! Fantastic sound on that piano+guitar album you did also. I make sure to listen to it once in a while!

I'm a big fan of Scot, expecting to get a guitar from him pretty soon myself. That meant a much longer waiting time than the one in this thread, but I am excited!
Thank you! Yes, Scot is great and quite knowledgeable. I look forward to hearing your new guitar soon!
Staufer 1830 Replica by Scot Tremblay
Andres Marvi 2015

Return to “Luthiers”