$10 arm rest made

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Keith

$10 arm rest made

Post by Keith » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 am

I got a burr in my saddle to reduce the pressure on my forearm when i play classical guitar and decided the way to go was to make my own. the total cost of the materials was about $10.

1. bought 2 ergoplay replacement suction cups from SBM (i included the cups with my purchase of strings)--cost was $5 or thereabouts

2. used a piece of a larger piece of tooling leather (approx. 8 oz. leather) i had.
materials.jpg
3. drilled 2 holes

4. wetted and bent the leather to form an "L"

here are photos

/attachment]
holes.jpg
bent.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

lagartija

Re: $10 arm rest made

Post by lagartija » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Nice idea...
Since it is tooling leather, you could add a decorative design on the part that is visible on the front, just beyond the area where your arm rests. ;-)
That would give it the finishing touch... hey maybe you could sell them...
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:41 pm

given how easy it was to make I think those folks who want to use one could do it themselves. one could curve the front to follow the shape of the bout but it is not critical. being a prototype I built a longer front which can be reduced it is nice to lean my forearm on leather and not a sharp wood edge.

as to taking on another task, a dozen years ago I got a burr in my saddle to improve cejillas and after more than 900 sold (6,8 and 10 strings) that business is taking up my non playing time. that said, it is nice to play a long piece without finding an indentation in my forearm.
Last edited by Keith on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Having discovered that on my latest classical build I have left the edge too sharp I may well be copying your idea very soon!
Dave

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 pm

This is my cheap solution for my right arm:
bandage.jpg
I bought this "elasticated tubular support bandage" in an online drugstore last week. It has a length of 10m and I think it will last a whole guitar life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Kalidor

Post by Kalidor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:16 am

Pardon the silly question, but are the suction cups on the sound board?

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:09 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 pm
This is my cheap solution for my right arm:
bandage.jpg
I bought this "elasticated tubular support bandage" in an online drugstore last week. It has a length of 10m and I think it will last a whole guitar life.
Mine is similar - tubular bandage for the thighs, with some dense foam (came as a protector to some bicycle-related thingie I got) in the inside.

Return to “Luthiers”