Puzzle Time

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Puzzle Time

Post by Paul Micheletti » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Here's a picture of my latest Rosette design.

The puzzle: Can you figure out the customer's name given only this picture?

Have fun!

Rasputin

Re: Puzzle Time

Post by Rasputin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm gonna guess Dwight Jacobs

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:42 pm

You are correct Rasputin. Too bad there is no prize for the winner. :lol:

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Hmmmm Morse Code....

What a cool idea!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Works really well! Excellent!

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 pm

I thought about this one for quite a while. Dwight is a very good friend of mine and I wanted to do something special for him on this guitar. I would not want to do this level of customization for a random customer without a no-return policy and a large up-front deposit. But for a good friend, I'm pulling out all the stops.

I used 2.5mm teflon strips to create the slot between the veneer bandings so that the small morse code end-grain tiles could be inserted in the channel left by the teflon. Similar to what steel string builders use for Abalone. I built up the small dots and dashes using 5 veneer stackups each thicknessed to 0.5mm.

I was thinking recently about the history of using this communication method. Torres lived from 1817 to 1892. Morse code was first used for telegraphy in the 1830's and the international standard was created in 1865. So it actually is period correct for Morse code to have existed and be in use during Torres' lifespan. Of course that was a complete afterthought, but an interesting convergence.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:42 pm

It's really nice work. You've got me thinking now... if I ever commissioned a guitar, how could I personalise the rosette? I also quite like the idea of having something written on the inside, i.e. no-one can see it but you know it's there (Russell? Who the f... is Russell?). Come to think about it, it's surprising that what you see through the soundhole is just the maker's label. Surely the label would be better as a headstock inset (is that vulgar?) and then you would then have the option to decomorate the back in such a way as to complement the rosette. In most respects Spanish style of the 19th century was pretty florid - you might say OTT - so I'm sure the makers of the golden age were only held back by financial considerations.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Or sequins all around the edge. No, I draw the line at sequins.

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 pm

I personally prefer subtlety. This is a message that is hiding in plain sight, which appeals to me. The gaudy LED or glow-in-the-dark fret markers and inlays that many electric guitars are now sporting do nothing positive for me. And I'll only put sequins on a guitar when Taylor Swift pays me $10K to do so. :lol:

I have written messages on the underside of the soundboard. You can only read this with an inspection mirror. Again hidden away.

Return to “Luthiers”