Brazilian rosewood vs Indian rosewood?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
petermc61

Re: Brazilian rosewood vs Indian rosewood?

Post by petermc61 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 am

I have owned quite a few guitars over recent years, both old and new instruments. I think I am in a position to provide a definitive statement about the impact of the back and side woods.

The three best guitars I have owned have been made from, in no particular order, Brazilian, Indian and maple. :shock:

Peter

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Re: Brazilian rosewood vs Indian rosewood?

Post by Chris Sobel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:06 am

dtrap wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:27 am
All my listening tests are centered around the player instead of the listener. Since most players hear themselves, practising, a lot more than they perform I like to center the listening up close and personal.
Our ears/bodies feel different every day so it will be a slightly new experience each time. Also humidity changes will affect the sound of a wooden instrument.
Once one is out of their usual playing space there are too many variables, room size, room acoustics, ambient noise, distance from the guitar etc.
Ones personal experience is what really matters to me. I personally can hear the difference between different woods when I'm playing the guitar so I assume others can as well.
The difference in this type of setting between high grade Brazilian and my high grade old Indian is obvious to me assuming one is really listening 'into' the guitar and not just surface listening. Once one gets into top notch instruments it's all about the nuances and subtleties.
I'll be stringing up two new guitars this week and comparing them to others from the past, similar builds, similar woods, new designs etc.
The more one seems to know the more complicated it gets. The fine tuning of the guitar and ears is a never ending process.
Hi Dake,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for chiming in.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Return to “Luthiers”