Torres Size - Romanillos

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Dave M

Torres Size - Romanillos

Post by Dave M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:37 pm

I went back to Romanillos' book on Torres looking for the various size and shapes that Torres used. I had a niggle that these had been tabulated but can't remember where. Wondered if it had been on this forum though I can't find it using search.

By this I mean extracting the measurements from 'the text description of each model so that things like UB and LB, area etc can be more easily compared.
Dave

Dave M

Re: Torres Size - Romanillos

Post by Dave M » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Since I couldn't find this info I decided to do the extraction myself, so I now have tables of the various measurements for all the guitars in Romanillos' catalogue in Word and Excel format.

If anyone is interested you can PM me with an email address and I'll send them on
Dave

Paul Micheletti
Amateur luthier

Post by Paul Micheletti » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:27 pm

There was an article in GAL's American Lutherie magazine about 1.5 years ago that showed lots of statistics based upon Romanillos' data from the Torres guitars. I don't recall the exact measurements they compared.

Edit: It was in AL #113. Much longer ago than I thought.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Paul thanks very much. I knew I had seen something like this. John Saucier's analysis is incredibly detailed. And as he says Jose Romanillos' work is a tremendous resource.

I was initially simply looking to see if the Jeffrey Elliot measured SE 114 was typical of a Torres build and found it was hard to extract that info directly from the Romanillos text.

Anyway the poring over the figures has helped me to a better feel for the dimensions that Torres generally used.
Dave

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:38 pm

I've done much the same exercise but I didn't go through the entire catalog!

Torres' guitars are sized in 5 basic increments:

-smallest being much like the SE117
-second size much like the FE18, which is much like the SE117 but with a longer body and slightly wider lower bout
-middle size much like the FE17
-second largest much like the FE19
-and the largest much like the SE114

The general character of the curves and proportions remained consistent, think of concentric circles.

The guitars were made more or less free hand rather than to an industrial standard as is often the case today, and (I would expect) were subject to the whim of the maker/client on any particular day.

I've built to four of these fives sizes, not the second smallest. I much prefer the FE17/19 size over the others. But that changes depending upon the day.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Doug yes I was thinking that building on a Solera a few mm here or there is going to happen.

The two things that stand out for me at first glance are the clustering of scale length around 650 mm - our modern de facto standard is perhaps not too surprising. But also the quite high variability of the body depth. I tried excluding the highly decorated one - can't remember the number but there is still a lot of variation. I must go back to the GAL article and see what he says about this.

I wonder what makes the designs you mention stand out for you?
Dave

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 am

They feel more intimate. I'm a fan of the FE guitars more so than the SE ones. Torres always struggled with earning money, the SE guitars were made after a time away from building. I am sure that he standardized his practice a fair bit at that point.

Also, the advantage of the smaller body is that it does not need to be braced heavily so the top may be built a little more lively without loosing structural strength.

In the end, after your study, you just need to figure out where you like to hang out.

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:08 am

They feel more intimate. I'm a fan of the FE guitars more so than the SE ones. Torres always struggled with earning money, the SE guitars were made after a time away from building. I am sure that he standardized his practice a fair bit at that point.

Also, the advantage of the smaller body is that it does not need to be braced heavily so the top may be built a little more lively without loosing structural strength.

In the end, after your study, you just need to figure out where you like to hang out.

Return to “Luthiers”