Versatile vice?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
josswinn

Versatile vice?

Post by josswinn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Has anyone used one of these rotating vices from Madinter? Would you recommend it?

StewMac make a similar one which seems to be popular. Shipping and import taxes make it considerably more expensive than the Madinter version to buy from the UK.

I have a bench vice for holding wood and will buy an engineer's vice that is raised off the bench but am thinking that the Madinter rotating vice would be a better (albeit quite expensive £145 to ship to the UK) alternative.

Thanks,
Joss

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Versatile vice?

Post by simonm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 pm

I have seen them used for working on necks. They are sometimes called pattern makers vices. Apart from the suppliers you mention, Dictum in Germany has them for 124 Euros incl vat plus shipping to the UK would be just 10 Euros so about Stg 122 shipped. Axminister may have had them at one point. Might be some used ones about too.

Whether all the apparently similar vices are in fact identical from the same chinese (or taiwanese) factory I don't know.

Have a look on the auction site for a Zyliss vice. They look kitchy and gimmicky but once you have used one you will be in danger of getting ZAS. I have two and will no doubt buy another. Romanillos used one quite a lot. It turns any table into a workbench. UK used prices run Stg25-Stg60 and more if you are in a hurry.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:24 pm

The one that Axminster sells as a 'Universal' vice is pretty good. I have been using it for a while. Perhaps not quite as good as the one you were looking at but also considerably cheaper.

I have it mounted on a box to raise it above the bench to a more convenient height for working on nuts and saddles, and carving necks. It works fine.
Dave

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:16 pm

I have the stew Mac one and it's great... not for everything but the jaws grip really well and I use it a lot for different things. If you're looking at vices I would get a traditional woodworking vise first and then get this later.
CE Sobel Guitars

mitch lees
Amateur luthier

Post by mitch lees » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 am

I use two Zyliss vices on my bench - you can have them either way up, so it is useful to have one at each end of the bench. They do not rotate, but you can easily make a couple of wooden insets with curved back that will hold unusual shapes such as necks.

Mitch

josswinn

Post by josswinn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. Both the Axminster and the Zyliss vices look useful. I also came across the Clarke CMV140 Multi-Purpose Cast Iron Vice, which could be good, too.

josswinn

Post by josswinn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:34 am

Just to conclude - I bought the Pattern Maker's vice from Dictum and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all your advice.

Return to “Luthiers”