K&k transducer locating?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
David Farmer

K&k transducer locating?

Post by David Farmer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Has anyone out there come up with a system for locating K&K transducers without drilling through the saddle slot?
I've installed lots of them on steel strings and have methods worked out but classicals are always long winded.

jim watts

Re: K&k transducer locating?

Post by jim watts » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 pm

David,
I've not done this and primarily install K&K's in steel strings as you do, but I can envision a simple fixture that registers off the sound hole for pick up locations.

Trevor Gore

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Some options here.
Trevor Gore: Classical Guitar Design and Build

David Farmer

Post by David Farmer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:02 am

Thanks Trevor and Jim. I should have checked back sooner. you guys are quick! LOL.

"sheep's pen" nice and simple. should have done that.

I decided on the over engineering route. :oops: It's an idea I've had kicking around for a while so I wouldn't have to stand there looking at the clock wondering.

I center drilled a bolt for a Stewart Macdonald clamp, put a piece of surgical tubing around it just proud of the lip and shaped it little. I stuck the end of my vac pump on the other end. A little fiddly at first but It worked well after getting the right shape.

Yes, I know the placements are strange. Long story.
Cheers.
IMG_0303 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0300 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0298 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dtrap

Post by dtrap » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 am

On Classical guitars K&K says to just put them on the bridge patch, only if it is flat, or right in front of the bridge patch directly onto the top.
There tech's say just put them eith side of the center fan and right next to the fan bars either side of the center fan. They say it is not all that critical if they are not excactly spaced.
Contact K&K if you want more info.
I have installed many of them on both classical and acoustic guitars with fine results. You can use their double back tape or super glue. SG you must be very careful you don't glue them to your fingers.

Return to “Luthiers”