Guitar crack DIY

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Murat

Guitar crack DIY

Post by Murat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 am

Hi All,

https://ibb.co/ffz06v
I left my guitar over 1 month holiday and forgot to refresh the case humidifier, the result was a very small crack near the guitar neck. I inspected the crack from the below " under top " with mirror and the crack didn't reach it , the crack is very tiny but the picture is zoomed it is less than 3 CM.
there are no luthiers where I do live so I have to fix it my self. I was thinking of Hide glue but the crack is tiny and not sure if the hide glue can penetrate it. should i use CA glue instead ? or maybe ultra thin CA glue then after drying out to apply some hide glue ?
I ordered from LMII two glues 1.Granular hide 2. MasterGlu Ultra-Thin CA glue.

I appreciate your kind advises, Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Murat

Kent

Re: Guitar crack DIY

Post by Kent » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Don't do anything until it is exposed to a proper humidity for a couple weeks.
I would just leave it alone.

Murat

Post by Murat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Kent wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm
Don't do anything until it is exposed to a proper humidity for a couple weeks.
I would just leave it alone.
Hi Kent, Thanks a lot for your response. the guitar is in proper humidity now but i play it from time to time in a proper humidity room as well is that OK or shoul i leave it alone ? another question , Do ypu think it is a good idea to loosen the strings while it recovers ?

Regards,
Murat

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Murat,
There is no additional stress on the guitar if you leave the strings in tune.
It looks mostly cosmetic, and I would let it stabilize for a few months and see how much it closes up.

Murat

Post by Murat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Kent wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm
Murat,
There is no additional stress on the guitar if you leave the strings in tune.
It looks mostly cosmetic, and I would let it stabilize for a few months and see how much it closes up.
again thanks a lot Ok now for strings :merci: but is it ok to play on the guitar ?

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Play, play, play!

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Time will heal all wounds :) But seriously wait awhile, go ahead and play it. Also calibrate your hygrometer, you can't really trust them 100 percent.

Search the archives for humidity...also look for the Bobby Obrien Guitars video on making a humidity guage out of wood it's pretty cool :)

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 pm

I am not sure a mirror would easily show the crack on the inside. To make sure, put a bright light inside the guitar (LED is best so it doesn't get hot) and see if the light goes through the crack. From the picture, it does look like an actual crack. The one problem with not doing anything about a crack, even if it were not to progress further, is that dirt gets in there and will make any future repair more visible. If the crack closes up with higher humidity, this is less of a problem. As long as the braces under the top there are solid, it is not a big structural problem. If in doubt, ask a luthier.

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:31 pm

I'm curious why it is common to see a crack in this position.

Does holding the guitar by the neck horizontally put pressure on the soundboard?

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 am

It is because the top wood shrinks faster than the neck/fretboard section it is attached to.

Return to “Luthiers”