Back Buzz - Repairs in London, UK

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
chrisW3

Back Buzz - Repairs in London, UK

Post by chrisW3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 pm

So, I seem to be getting back buzz when I am at the 7th fret on the 6th string, especially when I play the open D. Also, a little on the 5th string at the 10th fret when I play the 4th string at the 11th fret. The guitar is a second hand Burguet 2m.

I didn't notice it when I first bought the guitar, nor for a while afterwards and thinking about it I have changed strings recently (to Savarez Alliance Corum medium tension). Are some strings are more prone to this than others? I'm not a big fan of these strings anyway so I may wait until I change to see if it's still there.

However, what would be the remedy for this? Raising the nut? I'd not want to have the raise the action significantly. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for repairers/luthiers in the London area if it comes to it please?

Thanks in advance.

OldPotter

Re: Back Buzz - Repairs in London, UK

Post by OldPotter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 pm

However, what would be the remedy for this? Raising the nut? I'd not want to have the raise the action significantly.
It could be a problem with the nut or a fret problem or a relief problem.

Its fairly straightforward to check the nut action. (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64845#topic4) If it looks low then perhaps just shim the nut temporarily. A couple of pieces of ordinary printer paper will be about 0.2mm and might be enough to totally cure a problem, if it is the nut. If that sorts it out perhaps get a new nut made. Small changes in nut action are barely detectable in the left hand.

Changes in humidity and string tension might also be enough to alter the neck relief, but that's harder to measure.

I don't think its a fret problem, but its always possible. You would need a fret rocker to check individual frets and a proper straight edge to check for relief, (Its an odd length) so simpler to leave that to a luthier, if necessary.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 pm

hello

in london you will find several,
for example https://www.facebook.com/mathias.herbst ... le_browser

i know that exists a lady that is very known but i don't remember the name, if you don't find now one send me a email i can fix that but i'm out of london, about 1h20m + or -
I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 am

I'd be tempted to take it into London Guitar Studio and ask their advice. They sell the 2M so may have supplied it originally.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

chrisW3

Post by chrisW3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'll see if shimming the nut works and take it from there. I don't think its significantly out so hopefully won't be too difficult to fix.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 am

Check your neck relief and if there is too little, or none, try a higher tension string set. If you have a truss rod, adjust it. I had a CG that when the season changed, the neck moved back and I got back buzz. I changed the strings to a little heavier set ( thank goodness SBM puts tension ratings on most of their strings) and I went to a set that had just a few more pounds of tension, and it solved the problem. I didn't have enough relief, and no truss rod. Of course the action on this guitar was really quite low to start with. Had a higher saddle made, raised the action just a bit, and went back to my previous string choice.

Return to “Luthiers”