Lacotes Double Top Guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
adamjohnson

Lacotes Double Top Guitars

Post by adamjohnson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:03 pm

I have been searching for information on Lacote and his methode of double tops and have found little of anything. It looks to me that that his double tops were what many now call a double back, a second top is suspended just above the back braces. Correct?

Can anyone supply any other information on such guitars, I only have found one post here on the forum on this topic but it offered little in the way of details.

My best guess so far is that the back linings of the guitar are taller then the back braces and the second top would be glued onto them. Bracing would not be needed but seems practical for tuning purposes.

Thanks,
Adam

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Re: Lacotes Double Top Guitars

Post by Doug Ingram » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:21 pm

There is this one in the Harris Guitar Collection. The second "top" is, as you say, to the back and there is a small sound hole in the back. Next Lacote that I build will be like this one.

http://harrisguitarfoundation.org/rene-lacote-1830/

adamjohnson

Post by adamjohnson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Did not find that site yet, thanks. I love the back sound holes.

How are you planing the second top? Any bracing?

At this time I have mine drawn up with the same bracing as the top, but not for any real reason other then I copy and pasted the top with the braces and have yet to change it.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm

I believe Alan Perlman in San Francisco has built at least one copy of this.. I don't know how accessible he would be for information though!

adamjohnson

Post by adamjohnson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 pm

I will add him to my list of people to email. Thanks.

From what I have found it looks as though the second top would be unbraced and the few photos I have found showing the inside of other double topped instruments show the second top having its own lining. Whiich I suppose would make repairs easier since you can still get through to the main top as long as you are willing to remove the back, its lining and the second top first.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 am

I'm becoming quite an enthusiast of these types of guitars, so I'm happy to see another person interested in building this, by the way! I would love to see some build pictures and results if you don't mind posting them as you go along!

adamjohnson

Post by adamjohnson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 am

I think I can manage some pictures, it is still a few months away though, humidity is very high this time of year in these parts, need to wait for winter to hit and the furnace kicks in before things dry out well enough. I have plans for this, a Panormo and a LaPrevotte almost done and materials are starting to show up.

Are you just interested in building one or are you building one?

I am finding myself hoping for an early winter so I can get going on this.

I just noticed your name, that brings back some long forgotten memories.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am

James Westbrook (in The Century that Shaped the Guitar) and Sinier et de Ridder (on their second book on French lutherie) had written about it in detail.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:48 pm

adamjohnson wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 am
I think I can manage some pictures, it is still a few months away though, humidity is very high this time of year in these parts, need to wait for winter to hit and the furnace kicks in before things dry out well enough. I have plans for this, a Panormo and a LaPrevotte almost done and materials are starting to show up.

Are you just interested in building one or are you building one?

I am finding myself hoping for an early winter so I can get going on this.

I just noticed your name, that brings back some long forgotten memories.

I'm not a builder, just a player and I love romantic guitars! They seem to be making a small comeback, which is good! I'm always keeping an eye out to see and hear what replicas are being made as well as the originals that are still floating around.

Return to “Luthiers”