Delaminating neck

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
MrF1

Delaminating neck

Post by MrF1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm looking a b-stock Cordoba Master Series guitar that has small spot on the neck that is delaminating. In all my years around acoustic/classical guitars, this is first time I've run up against this issue. When I read the word "delaminating", my mind thinks of layers slowly peeling off over time. Should this be a concern at the point of purchase or is it a non-issue? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

MrF1

Re: Delaminating neck

Post by MrF1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:56 pm

adamjohnson

Post by adamjohnson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Looks like the finish did not stick in that spot, if that is all the issues it has and it is a good price and good sound I would have no issues with buying it.

Depending on the sort of finish they use on those guitars it may be an easy fix as well, if you are concerned about such things.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks Adam. Cordoba uses PU finish on the Master Series guitars

adamjohnson

Post by adamjohnson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Then not an easy fix.

But if the aesthetic quality does not bother you, it can be safely ignored. Likely just some sort of oil or the like on the wood there that kept the finish from sticking in that spot.

John higgon
Amateur luthier

Post by John higgon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:57 am

I agree that this doesn't look like a reason not to buy the guitar, if you like the guitar's sound, etc. One thing you could consider is sanding off all the finish on the neck and applying an oil finish.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks John,

My only concern is whether the one delaminating spot would start expanding over time. I agree....it's all about the sound and playability of the guitar.

adamjohnson

Post by adamjohnson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:15 pm

MrF1 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:37 am
My only concern is whether the one delaminating spot would start expanding over time. I agree....it's all about the sound and playability of the guitar.
It is possible that the whole thing could start flaking, but unlikely. This is caused by a contamination on the wood keeping the finish from sticking to the wood. When a large area or an entire instrument is contaminated and the finish does not stick, there is very little if any outward sign generally, the finish looks fine but once there is some damage and you have that open edge to the unstuck finish, it starts coming off quite easily. Gibson has had this problem a few times over the years on their electrics.

Your photo shows a bubble which tends to suggest the finish on either side of the bubble is well adheared and will not spread. As the guitar neck has dried out abit more post finishing the wood has shrunk and the spot where the finish did not stick has broke loose and bubbled up instead of moving with the wood.

Most luthiers can offer quick cheap non aesthetic fixes for such things to give some insurance against spreading. Or there is Johns suggestion which will make the neck much nicer to thands as well. Although I would not sand poly down, I would scrape it myself. You know how when you unpack something packed in foam peanuts on a dry day and the peanuts stick to everything and everywhere including you. Poly dust is the same, so imagine those peanuts are all smaller then a grain of sand and you have billlons and billions of them.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks again for the great information Adam. Still have pulled the trigger on this guitar, but it's still under consideration.

Return to “Luthiers”