Guitar no 5

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
mqbernardo

Re: Guitar no 5

Post by mqbernardo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm

very nice looking, congratulations on that! i´m staring a walnut guitar, may i ask you how you dealt with the pores? i´ll definitely be using some garnet/reddish shellac after seeing these pics!

once again, congratulations!
Miguel.

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm

That is a good looking axe....
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 pm

mqbernardo wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm
very nice looking, congratulations on that! i´m staring a walnut guitar, may i ask you how you dealt with the pores? i´ll definitely be using some garnet/reddish shellac after seeing these pics!

once again, congratulations!
Miguel.
I use a dark brown dry artists pigment - mixed with white spirit ( household oil based paint thinners )
Rub it into the bare wood and rub off excess. Then seal with shellac and proceed as normal.
Lemon shellac does not look good on Walnut - Garnet or clear much better.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am

You are right to go with a coloured shellac on the walnut. It needs something to give it a bit of warmth, especially AB Walnut. You can also use a touch of dragons blood and/or alkanet root. Probably less is more. With alkanet I've had walnut looking like Indian rosewood, which is taking things to an extreme. Lemon shellac just results in an insipid look, something more towards red helps.
The rosette reminds me of the larger rosettes that became prevalent in Spanish guitars, late 19th century. They make for quite a strong bold statement. You've kept away from multi colours, which is a very good decision in my book. The only thing I'm not fond of is the plantilla. I find the upper bout to be of the sloping shoulder type. That's just me, some may like that effect.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Luthiers”