Bevelled vs Smallman Armrest

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
HNLim

Bevelled vs Smallman Armrest

Post by HNLim » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:57 pm

I am at the stage of attaching the top to the sides of my 13-string harp-guitar. All the guitar that I have built, convert or own has an armrest some are removable but most are permanently mounted similar to a Smallman style but a lot more slimmer. I am considering a bevelled armrest for this guitar. I need some advice.

Is there any disadvantage of a bevelled armrest like lost of bass or lost of tone as the kerfing has to be slightly wider than the standard kerfing to accomodate the wider profile especially the top on the bass side?

Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thank you

Lim HN

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Re: Bevelled vs Smallman Armrest

Post by Alan Carruth » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I have not noticed a serious loss of sound when using a small beveled armrest. You do need to support it with wider liners, of course. I did retrofit a very narrow one on a guitar a few years ago without (obviously) enlarging the liner; in making the bevel I barely touched the liner. So far, so good, and the customer found it quite a bit more comfortable.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Alan Carruth wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm
I have not noticed a serious loss of sound when using a small beveled armrest. You do need to support it with wider liners, of course. I did retrofit a very narrow one on a guitar a few years ago without (obviously) enlarging the liner; in making the bevel I barely touched the liner. So far, so good, and the customer found it quite a bit more comfortable.
Thanks Alan

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:03 pm

I like the elevated armrest design better. I know that beveled armrests are all the rage right now, but (at least for French polished guitars) beveled armrests do nothing to get one's sweaty forearm off the soundboard. That's the best thing about armrests aside from a slight increase in comfort and mobility.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Return to “Luthiers”