Side marker dots

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
cefyn

Re: Side marker dots

Post by cefyn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Why anyone would want a marker on 12 on a classical is beyond me - It's where the neck meets the body!
My dots are on 5, 7 and 9 - I must admit I could probably do with a single mark on 7

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:38 pm

The last guitar I commissioned I requested no dots, he usually puts one on the 7th fret. I am sure it puzzled him, but I explained my other guitars don’t have dots and I want to keep the consistency.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 pm

All these very wise comments are for dots as visual guides . I prefer tactile guides to feel with the tip of my thumb . I use stick on door buffers .They are clear plastic domes with peel off backing about 10mm wide .(See e - b a y). Sadly they don`t stay on permanently but the sticky stuff wipes off easily with white spirits . Just keep replacing them. . 5,7 and 9 is a good start . They are not lined up with the fret either. Play the note at the fret and then place the dome so you just feel it "gently" on the curve of your thumb.( left or right of the thumb ).Not so low the thumb joint bangs into it .The plan is to read the music and feel the position without looking. Try to memorise where they are with your eyes closed . Make it a separate exercise drill .
One extra dome I needed was at the open fret as coming from a violin there is no curve like the pegbox on a violin. The exact position of the domes depends on how you hold the neck and your wrist angle and finger length .

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:43 am

Count me as belonging to the 5 th and 7th denomination.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 am

5th is good as it`s not far from either end.There is a harmonic on the 7th but you have to look if you are a visual player . I saw one player today on youtube who closed his eyes a lot and kept his head straight . Simple practice jumps and listening can teach you where you need to be . 0 ,5 ,7 ,12 with your eyes closed and just listen .Repeat it a few times each day . If you miss an interval in the music repeat it correctly 6 times. It usually stays right then . Don`t practice looking at every note .Just listen and feel where you are .Play with feeling .

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 pm

A bit like stabilizers on a bike, they are useful when starting. However with enough practice, you will know the position without even looking. You will still make mistakes with or without them.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:11 am

I'm a dot hungry guitarist: 5th/7th/12th/15th/17th. I play several pieces with octave harmonics, upper register runs and like to do scales above the 12th fret. My goal is to be accurate, clean and get the best sound. Why get lost or create anxiety when you can follow the yellow brick road? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:47 am

I like to have dots at 7 and 12, though 5 doesn't hurt either. On my newly acquired Alvarez flamenca I have none and it's OK with me, too (for the first time, because earlier I inserted dots when they wern't there). So I don't have a fixed dotiness orientation, it appears.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Zen

Post by Zen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:03 pm

I’m used to one dot at 7 and when I recently played a guitar with more dots it actually threw me off...
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm

I have never been "dotty" in 55 years... :wink: ...so I am trying an experiment with a sticky "dot" at 7. First reaction: it threw me off as I was practicing scales. I've gotten used to it now after a week or so. I'm still not sure if it helps and that may have to do with the fact that I play so many pieces with few memorized that my left hand action is not as much by sight as it may be for some. I'll keep it on for awhile longer and then see if I miss it after I remove it.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 am

I like a dot at 7th fret and a sticky dot on the fretboard at the 15th fret
between the e' and b' strings. I don't often play that high on the fretboard.

I've seen two classical guitars with dots at 7 and 10.

Zen

Post by Zen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 am

This raises the (unanswerable, I think) question of whether its best to look at your left hand or not.
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 am

What do you think of this side marker?
Sidemarker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:29 am

I find most trouble above the 12 fret, especially when the neck is angled up where all the fret wires look like angles to me. So I use these huge pieces of tape. Works for me and I really don't care about meeting anyone else's standards.

KP

montana

Post by montana » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 am

bacsidoan wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 am
What do you think of this side marker?

Sidemarker.jpg
A chunk of wood glued to the neck? :D

Return to “Luthiers”