Warning shocking content!

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
MartenFalk

Warning shocking content!

Post by MartenFalk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am

I was truly shocked to see this. I must ask; is this for real or is it fake news? Is it really possible that a respectable luthier such as Smallman could have done this? To my eyes it looks like the work of a 9 year old.... please inform me, has anybody looked inside a Smallman and can you confirm that this is really his work?
https://youtu.be/idit9C8esUk

doralikesmath

Re: Warning shocking content!

Post by doralikesmath » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 am

There are plenty of other videos on the inside of Smallman guitars on YouTube and this one looks real to me. Does it really matter, though, as long as the guitar sounds nice and the outside looks good?
Raimundo 148 Cedar - "Julia"
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:45 am

I hope not. Very sloppy workmanship, at least to the eye of a non-luthier.

Irrespective of the workmanship I just don’t like their sound.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:47 am

doralikesmath wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 am
There are plenty of other videos on the inside of Smallman guitars on YouTube and this one looks real to me. Does it really matter, though, as long as the guitar sounds nice and the outside looks good?
Well... does it sound nice?

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 am

Not to me to be honest, but the Smallmans must sound good to other like Xuefei Yang or John Williams so that they play Smallman exclusively. To each thier own, I guess.
Takamine G128 Spruce

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:50 am

Smallman guitars are hardly the most attractive on the outside either - at least IMO. It's all about the sound and the performance. Given that many big name players use them I doubt that they are in the least bit bothered. Nor should we. Perhaps just stay away from calling them examples of highly refined world class craftsmanship.
Historicalguitars.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am

doralikesmath wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 am
...Xuefei Yang...[plays]...Smallman exclusively. To each thier own, I guess.
Is that true? She does play a Smallman. Doesn't she also play the Fischer that features in the DVD Aubade?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

vesa

Post by vesa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:07 am

Too many kangaroos in the workshop???

This is different level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENImGsolpIw
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:17 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am
doralikesmath wrote:
Is that true? She does play a Smallman. Doesn't she also play the Fischer that features in the DVD Aubade?
My bad, just realized she recorded with a Romanillos and a Dammann before as well.
Takamine G128 Spruce

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:33 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:17 pm
pogmoor wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am
doralikesmath wrote:
My bad, just realized she recorded with a Romanillos and a Dammann before as well.
She seems to use Smallman for almost everything live (I saw her use something else to play the Ginastera - there's percussion in it) but the recording I have of hers has a Ramirez and other things. In fact at a conference her performance was sponsored by a Ramirez dealer and she used it throughout; she's the exception I was thinking about in the thread about trad vs modern guitars.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:50 am
Perhaps just stay away from calling them examples of highly refined world class craftsmanship.
You can call it what you like but one of those guitars fetches a higher price than I would prefer to pay for a car!
If I was in the market for one, I would like to say I would only care that it looks good on the outside and plays nicely and sounds good.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes I'm well aware how much they cost. People don't buy them because they are impeccably made. To put it another way, how many current modern guitar makers of traditional fan braced construction can make a guitar in that manner and gain any inkling of a reputation? I don't know any, not one. The modern trait is to make guitars that for all intents and purposes appear to be perfect on the outside and perfect on the inside. It's called competition. In terms of craftsmanship one has to try and keep up with the standard of your peers otherwise you are dead in the water. There are just too many guitar makers competing for a very limited market. Smallman is in a somewhat different position because he came out with a radical new design and the concert guitar player market took to it. His doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect, certainly not internally.
BTW. If we go back to the 17th, 18 th and 19 th centuries the vast majority of guitars (if any) did not have a high level of refinement internally. Torres internal construction doesn't quite measure up to the vast majority of professional guitar makers making today. Not that makers of the past were not capable of it, just that they had a living to make and that level of refinement just wasn't considered necessary. It wasn't considered important. Today things are a little different, certainly for the maker of traditional instruments.
Historicalguitars.

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 pm

I am surprised that players care about how their guitar looks on the inside. Nobody can see it from the outside, it does not affect the sound. Why would a luthier bother perfecting the look on the inside when that's the time that can be spent voicing a guitar and adding real value?
When you pop the bonnet of your car, you don't expect the car battery curves to follow the exterior design, right?

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Nice rosette - I'll give him that !

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Does Smallman not use a double top? In the video, I do not see any hint of nomex honeycomb.

Return to “Luthiers”