Using Hot Hide Glue

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
amezcua

Using Hot Hide Glue

Post by amezcua » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:21 am

While I was working out the best way to seal some cracks in a guitar back I thought one of those dispensers with tiny thin tubes attached to a plastic bottle might work to apply the hot glue. The glue was heated up and poured into the bottle and then the tube part was screwed on. The bottle was then immersed in the hot water again to get the temperature right . The glue will flow through the 0.8mm tube very easily . In fact it comes through faster than I expected . I could make a finer line with the right shaped brush ..But it was still controllable .The point here is if you wanted to join a long section of a guitar using a brush you would need to keep dipping in and moving to and fro to the glue pot. But with a bottle of hot glue in an insulated cover you reduce the time to get the hot glue where it should go .A brush will still be useful to spread the glue but it would be a quicker operation with less cooling time. Afterwards The metal nozle needs washing in hot water to unblock it before it sets. Then put the top back on . Put it in a plastic bag and park it in the freezer till it`s needed again .Contraction below zero will not damage the plastic bottle .And no nasty green fungus will grow on the glue in the pot .

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Using Hot Hide Glue

Post by simonm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 am

Some folks also put a metal ball bearing in the little bottle. This ensures that the bottle floats upright in the water when you are heating it up instead of falling over. Disposable pipettes are another option. You can do the same - make a batch of glue, put it in the pipettes and freeze until you need it. The warm up some when you need it. (Frank Ford's pages are a great starting point).
Last edited by simonm on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks Simonm...

I bought a bottle of tight bond for nothing :)

mlau

Post by mlau » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Any pictures?

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:24 pm

If you put something in the bottle with the hide glue to keep it upright in the water, don't use steel. Oxidation of the steel in water will turn the glue black, and cause it to leave a glue line that is usually visible. Stainless steel will not cause this. So use a stainless ball bearing or, easier to find, a couple of stainless nuts or screws. Clean them in alcohol before putting in the glue, to remove chemicals used in manufacturing and cleaning.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Easier to flood it and appy heat with a hair drier - before and after applying. Wipe away any main surplace while still fresh - or wait a few minutes and clear off any excess when gelled. Cracks can be masked up to keep surfaces clean - but hide glue is quite neutral to polished finishes - and will remove when set with a little dampness and care.
People do use bottles with a tube end when gluing up around linings. Actually what helps there is that the glue is sitting as a bead, so retains heat more than when brushed on as a layer - and also is easier to plop a liberable coat to a thin edge surface.

I glue fingerboard with dabs of glue - not spread. The board spreads it when pressed on - and the dollops stay liquid a lot longer. I can do that with a brush as its a large surface.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am

Photos. You can see a picture of a fine line applicator in the adverts. Art shops seem to use them a lot . I made a mistake about the bottles in a freezer. It`s expansion with the cold that does not affect the plastic bottle. I should remember that as I used the trick once to expand my leather shoes when they were too tight. That`s a true story .It works perfectly .

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am

A brush for a fretboard is ideal , but for a thin line you would need a smaller brush and then lots of toing and froing to get the glue in place . In a narrow gap a tiny tube ( 0.8mms or smaller ) can get right inside the space.

Return to “Luthiers”