Anyone try building a "travel" full scale classical guitar?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
mlau

Anyone try building a "travel" full scale classical guitar?

Post by mlau » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Hey guys,

I started a thread on MIMF to ask Clay Schaeffer about his travel guitar system (he's currently building me one).
Has anyone here done a "travel" acoustic full scale classical guitar?

I think there's one guy who does bolt on necks on his concert classical guitars....not sure who else?

andreas777

Re: Anyone try building a "travel" full scale classical guitar?

Post by andreas777 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Peter_T
Amateur luthier

Post by Peter_T » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:27 am

Have you seen the Soloette? Best option for travel, by far, in my opinion.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:00 pm

The Soloette...might as well play a toilet seat. It's worthless without headphones, and how comfortable do you think you will be with sweaty ears?

The Martin back packer comes in nylon, it's cheaper and sounds just as bad :)

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

A couple of years ago I built a travel harp guitar for Ken Bonfield that folded up and went into a box that will fit into the overhead: 14" x 22" x 9". After that making a travel Classical would be a piece of cake.

Modern Classical guitars are usually about 14" wide in the lower bout, and this presents a problem: 14" is the maximum width for a package that goes in the overhead. I have flown with the 'naked' body of a 'test mule' that size as carry-on luggage, and had no problems, but I was not too concerned about that one getting marked up or broken. Some folks really shove their bags in. For the harp I went with a body 13" (33cm) wide: about the size of an early Torres or a Martin size 1. You can build these small boxes really light, and they will produce a lot of power. What you tend to lose as compared with a standard guitar is bass.

There are several ways to do folding necks, and ample precedent in the Classical world.

Peter_T
Amateur luthier

Post by Peter_T » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:00 pm
The Soloette...might as well play a toilet seat. It's worthless without headphones, and how comfortable do you think you will be with sweaty ears?

The Martin back packer comes in nylon, it's cheaper and sounds just as bad :)
The backpacker is a completely different animal -- it's a tiny scale kinda-acoustic instrument meant literally for carrying around to various hostels and playing sing-alongs.

As you said, the Soloette is meant to be used with headphones - it's a "silent" guitar otherwise. It's meant to be a true practice instrument - it's scale is standard and its frame represents the leg position and depth of a standard classical guitar. That's night-and-day from the backpacker. With its piezo pickup, it was never meant to perform concerts. I'm biased but in my life, the Soloette is MUCH nicer to take on quick work trips than a full-sized guitar -- it doesn't even count as a carry-on bag (just a "personal bag") which is a huge benefit if I'm not checking other luggage!

Not sure why your ear sweat would be such a concern, I don't have that issue.

Return to “Luthiers”