Polishing and care of CG

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:35 pm

For the fingerboard, try a product called Gorgamyte. It is a cloth that is treated. A 2 inch square will do a whole fingerboard. You rub it on the wood, and the frets. It cleans and oils the wood with a very light amount of moisture and polishes the frets to a high shine. The cloth turns black as you use it. Wipe afterward with a clean, dry cloth. I use it eveytime I change strings.

Gone for me, are the days of masking the fretboard and using steel wool on the frets. If the fretboard is really dirty, a second 2 inch square of Gorgamyte cloth may be used, and repeat the process. Once is usually enough, even on fairly dirty fingerboards.

As far as polish goes, I use an un-polish. I use a product called Gerlitz' Smudge Off. It contained no silicone. Spray a little on a microfiber cloth, and wipe the area you want clean. It takes off grease, and grime, and finger prints. Safe to use if you need to have a finish touch up later. A little bit goes a long way.

User avatar
SeanWinkler
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by SeanWinkler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

I'm also a big fan of Gorgomyte, though I don't use it quite that often--maybe once or twice a year. I've been able to remove quite a bit of grime from used guitars with it, too.

For the guitar body, I like StewMac's preservation polish. It does a great job without leaving any kind of residue. I haven't used it on French polish shellac finishes, though. There I tend to stick with a barely damp (if not completely dry) cotton cloth and elbow grease as Alan mentioned. For those very fine micro-scratches, I've had good luck with the StewMac swirl remover. Again, it seems pretty mild chemically, but gets the job done.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

User avatar
jhapgood
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by jhapgood » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that mineral oil, in a small amount, and wiped off after cleaning was ideal for maintenance of the fingerboard. I had heard that it tended to have less negative "drying" or harsh effects on the fretboard when compared to lemon oil.

Any thoughts about this from anyone? Pros or Cons?

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

JohnB
Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:58 pm

jhapgood wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that mineral oil, in a small amount, and wiped off after cleaning was ideal for maintenance of the fingerboard. I had heard that it tended to have less negative "drying" or harsh effects on the fretboard when compared to lemon oil.

Any thoughts about this from anyone? Pros or Cons?
Personally I would steer well clear of it. In fact I steer clear of using anything on the fingerboard apart from a moist, soft cloth when I change strings. I have never understood the need for anything else.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

chiral3
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Philadelphia Area, PA / New York.

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by chiral3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm

I am surprised nobody else mentioned Novus for top, B&S polishing. Check out Novus, and apply some elbow grease.

That being said, scratches add character.
物の哀れ

hesson11
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 pm

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by hesson11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 am

You guys are freaking me out about microfiber cloths! I've been using them on my guitars for years, including those with French polish. But I just checked them all out carefully and could not find a single sign of scratching. Except for the big ones I did myself through clumsiness!
-Bob

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by Beowulf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 am

Golly gosh folks, for fretboards...try some Boogie Juice. My pen is over 25 years old and hasn't run out yet. Still works very well!
1971 Yamaha GC-10

MessyTendon
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 am

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:13 am

Nothing, absolutely nothing...

Solvents are not needed, miracle polish goops are not needed. The fingerboard is going to attract natural dead skin cells from the fingers, the oils of the fingers will be enough for the fingerboard.

Listen to Alan...Distilled water an cotton cue tips...in between the frets can wipe accumulated grit and string residue. other than that nothing.

No lemon oil...been there done, that, it's stupid and not necessary.

Light elbow grease, nothing more.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am

You guys go ahead and scrub with water. I’m sticking with my products as they are quicker and easier. Call me lazy! Gorgamyte takes five minutes...👍🏻🤪

Alan Carruth
Luthier
Posts: 2722
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by Alan Carruth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm

When I did repairs I saw more problems caused by solvents and polishes than you might imagine. There's a reason why museum restoration staffs use water and almost nothing else to clean things. There's nothing quite as exasperating as trying to glue up a crack that's been saturated with mineral oil over the years.

I do use Novus polishes to put the final shine on the varnish when I'm making a guitar. If you are really offended by the sort of light scratching that set this whole thread off you can use the 'fine scratch remover' to knock that back. Just keep in mind that it's an abrasive that works by removing material from the surface. On a thin finish, which is what your guitar should have, you can polish through if you use this sort of thing on a regular basis. IMO that sort of surface is normal wear and tear; what we used to call 'clean dirt' in the Navy. It's simply something to be expected and not a 'flaw'. It might be worth polishing off if you're thinking of selling the guitar, but otherwise I would not worry. But that's just me.

User avatar
prawnheed
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by prawnheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm

jhapgood wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that mineral oil, in a small amount, and wiped off after cleaning was ideal for maintenance of the fingerboard. I had heard that it tended to have less negative "drying" or harsh effects on the fretboard when compared to lemon oil.

Any thoughts about this from anyone? Pros or Cons?

Kind Regards,

Joe
Lemon oil is just mineral oil plus a lemon fragrance. Depending on what they use as fragrance, I guess that the lemon bit might have some effect, but I'd expect it to just evaporate in a few minutes so they'd be end up being the same.

I'm in the wipe it with an old t-shirt camp myself. I actually use a cloth I cut from a pair of pajamas that were old when I cut them up in 1974.

astro64
Posts: 711
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: American Southwest

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by astro64 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am
You guys go ahead and scrub with water. I’m sticking with my products as they are quicker and easier. Call me lazy! Gorgamyte takes five minutes...👍🏻🤪
Why scrub at all? Do nothing, play the guitar, done.

User avatar
ameriken
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm
Location: Westminster, Co USA

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by ameriken » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Alan Carruth wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm
When I did repairs I saw more problems caused by solvents and polishes than you might imagine. There's a reason why museum restoration staffs use water and almost nothing else to clean things. There's nothing quite as exasperating as trying to glue up a crack that's been saturated with mineral oil over the years.

I do use Novus polishes to put the final shine on the varnish when I'm making a guitar. If you are really offended by the sort of light scratching that set this whole thread off you can use the 'fine scratch remover' to knock that back. Just keep in mind that it's an abrasive that works by removing material from the surface. On a thin finish, which is what your guitar should have, you can polish through if you use this sort of thing on a regular basis. IMO that sort of surface is normal wear and tear; what we used to call 'clean dirt' in the Navy. It's simply something to be expected and not a 'flaw'. It might be worth polishing off if you're thinking of selling the guitar, but otherwise I would not worry. But that's just me.
Thank you for this. While wear and tear is a normal issue, it is especially frustrating when a cloth that is supposed to help protect the guitar is actually what is causing the damage.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Pede
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:01 am
Location: Friesland, Holland

Re: Polishing and care of CG

Post by Pede » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 pm

I really never have polished my guitars. I think Its NO good.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

Return to “Luthiers”