Trying shellac from a new source.

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
simonm

Trying shellac from a new source.

Post by simonm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Trying out some shellac from a place in Barcelona. Most likely only of interest people with Spanish/Portuguese connections as the website is in Spanish/Catalan/Portuguese. If you search for "coma laca dalmau," it should come up. (quimics dalmau online). Looks like a small local shop. Cheaper than the online luthier suppliers.

First impression is good. It dissolved as easily as any other shellac. I haven't applied any yet, but it is "behaving" as expected so far.

shellac.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael.N.

Re: Trying shellac from a new source.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:44 pm

That appears to be a fairly light grade. They sell lemon shellac and sandarac too.
Historicalguitars.

simonm

Re: Trying shellac from a new source.

Post by simonm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes. I think it is the lightest they do. Some sellers would call it "superblonde." The picture was taken with full bright sunlight falling on it so it looked very light indeed. The selection reminds me of the little old side streets shops in Spanish towns where you got paint and pigments, soaps and oils and ropes, string and clothes pegs and all sorts of other treasures. :-)

Return to “Luthiers”