A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:03 am

nacio wrote:hello guitarrista, :D

i haven't gotten any new info yet................but i'm trying! :wink:

Hi Nacio, happy new year! :D

I am also still waiting for info.. will post as soon as I get some.

Michael, thanks for the picture, and I will be waiting to see more.. :D Looks like your label does not have the address at the time, interesting..

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Hey!!!

Time to revive the thread... I have hot new information :D :D

I got the address from the label of the 1970 A.S.Gonzalez guitar. All in all so far we have, by year:

1957:
    Cerro Garabitas, 3
    Madrid

1966:
    n/a

1970:
    Cerro Garabitas, 11
    Madrid
      also:
      Union Musical Espanola
      Carrera San jeronimo 26 Arenal 18
      Madrid

1982:
    Jaboneria, 30
    Alcorcón
    Madrid

2006:
    Jaboneria, 26
    28921 - Alcorcón
    Madrid

Soooo, I am not sure where to go from here. I want to do some measurements and compare the guitars. Later we might compare the woods etc.

Any comments? Nacio?? Michael?? Are you guys readng this?? :bye: :bye:

Nacio de Falla

Postby Nacio de Falla » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:58 pm

Hello guitarrista!

very nice!!...............i haven't found out anything new yet.

Mine seems to be 655mm...........and has a Spruce top, Spanish cypress B/S, Spanish cedar neck, ebony fret-board, and a Walnut bridge..............it seems to have originally had Peg tuners at one time and was converted to Mach.Tuners.........

Thanks!!!!! :D

bazzer1970

Postby bazzer1970 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:16 am

Hi All

What an exciting thread, its like reading the da vinci code!
I also have a Solar Gonzalez guitar, mine is from 1963. I bought it about 12 months ago and tried to find out a bit about the maker but like you did not have much luck! My Guitar is not in brilliant condition but very playable. Thing I noticed first about mine was how loud it is as somebody else mentioned.
I am at work at the moment but will take some pictures and post with the label information over the weekend. I also have the original case that the guitar came in, I am not sure if that can provide any clues?

Anyway I better get back to work before I get fired!

Regards

Barry

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:36 am

bazzer1970 wrote:Hi All

What an exciting thread, its like reading the da vinci code!
I also have a Solar Gonzalez guitar, mine is from 1963. I bought it about 12 months ago and tried to find out a bit about the maker but like you did not have much luck! My Guitar is not in brilliant condition but very playable. Thing I noticed first about mine was how loud it is as somebody else mentioned.
I am at work at the moment but will take some pictures and post with the label information over the weekend. I also have the original case that the guitar came in, I am not sure if that can provide any clues?

Anyway I better get back to work before I get fired!

Regards

Barry

Wooo-hooo! Barry!! :applauso: :applauso:

Welcome to the brotherhood!! :ivresse: :guitare: :guitare: :guitare: :guitare: <----- all A.S. Gonzalez guitars!

I am holding my breath waiting for your pictures! Don't make me pass out ! :mrgreen:

zavaletas

Postby zavaletas » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:40 pm

I suspect that Ancelmo Solar Gonzalez is a brother of Fernando Solar Gonzalez (b. 1922) who had his shop on Calle Divino Pastor, 24.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

bazzer1970

Postby bazzer1970 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi All

Finally got round to taking some photos, this is the label - no address though :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bazzer1970

Postby bazzer1970 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:51 pm

This is the rosette detail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bazzer1970

Postby bazzer1970 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:55 pm

This one is the full guitar from the front

bazzer1970

Postby bazzer1970 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:57 pm

And the back:

bazzer1970

Postby bazzer1970 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:13 pm

Think Thats enough for now although I do have some more pics if anybody would like see any more detail. I am not a luthier and dont know a great deal about tone woods / construction ect. I do not know what sort wood my guitar is made from maybe somebody can tell from the pictures? what I can tell you is that it is very light (in weight) and colour on the top. The back and sides are darker and a redish colour maybe mahogany? The head of the guitar where the holes are cut for the tuners to go through are really rough and look like they have not been finished I don't know how well you can tell from this photo. Seems strange as the finish on the rest of the guitar is very good. It would be great if we could find out a little more about Anselmo Solar Gonzalez, zavaletas' information may be a good lead so I'll do a bit of research and you all know if I find anything more out.

Barry

glebe digital

Postby glebe digital » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Can I join the club? :wink:
This just got delivered today, at 200 Euros I just had to take a punt at it.

Label is dated 1974, also has handwritten on the label 'studio' so I assume this was a student level guitar?

The quality of finish appears to be very high, it also looks like it's hardly been played...........the sound is very loud, almost as punchy as my Kenny Hill......although I have to say it lacks a bit of character [especially in the bass].

we'll see how it sounds with a new set of Hannabachs. :)

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:24 am

glebe digital wrote:Can I join the club? :wink:
This just got delivered today, at 200 Euros I just had to take a punt at it.

Label is dated 1974, also has handwritten on the label 'studio' so I assume this was a student level guitar?

The quality of finish appears to be very high, it also looks like it's hardly been played...........the sound is very loud, almost as punchy as my Kenny Hill......although I have to say it lacks a bit of character [especially in the bass].

we'll see how it sounds with a new set of Hannabachs. :)

Hi,

Welcome to the club and thanks for the pictures!

I see in 1974 the address is still Cerro Garabitas 11..

Where does it say "studio" - I can't see it on the label?

I am surprised about the bass.. mine is very balanced and has a rich bass. Perhaps try with your new strings?

I am thinking of asking all of you guys to post some measurements, so we can compare dimensions.

I will post a request early next week, so please watch this space!!

:discussion: :guitare: :guitare: :guitare: :guitare: :guitare:

glebe digital

Postby glebe digital » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 am

Thanks guitarrista, just been playing-in the new [high tension] hannabachs and woah!.........what a difference. :)
Excellent note separation across all strings, bass is crisp and powerfull.......I just can't believe how loud this guitar is. :shock:

The text 'studio' is written vertically on the left side of the label, it's barely visible on the pictures.

I think some collective measurements would be a great idea.........I'll get my tape measure out in preparation. :)

jviss

Re: A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Postby jviss » Sat May 24, 2008 4:34 pm

As a new member here I guess I'll be bumping a few of these dormant threads. I, too am a member of the A. Solar Gonzalez club. I quite impulsively purchased one in very poor condition at a show about 10 years ago. I recall I paid $275. It's a classical model, made in 1968. There were three soundboard cracks that had been repaired, and the finish is in poor shape, with dramatic crazing on the neck. Since I've owned it, it developed two cracks in the back, one quite severe. I once wrote to Jose Oribe about refurbishing this instrument, and he said he was familiar with them, and when doing one over he usually recommends replacing the fingerboard, since he has found the intonation to be poor on these.

You can see the major crack on the left side of the label, just to the left of the "G" in guitarra.

I'm trying to decide what to do with this. Open to suggestions.

Here's my label:

Return to “Luthiers”