A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
skender

Re: A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Post by skender » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:51 am

Hello,

I also have a Anselmo Solar Gonzales guitar. It is 1970 Madrid Spain, Cedar Top and Brazilian Rosewood back and sides.

I will post some pictures soon.

sheb20

Post by sheb20 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:53 pm

Supurb. The dogs..........

SergeMarx

Post by SergeMarx » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi all,

new here and admittedly not a classical guitarist however I thought you guys would appreciate this:

About 5 years ago I did a job for my boss - which involved collected a trailer load of stuff from his old house and moving it to his new one. At the old place, there was a pile of stuff heading to the junk shop... amongst this pile - a guitar case. My bosses wife told me to take it if I wanted it, so without looking, I grabbed it.

Turns out it's a... you guessed it... Solar 1963.

here's the label

and some more shots from my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=s ... cal&m=text\

Also, after much investigation I sent some photos over to Madrid to find out who it was that made it... I received a nice letter which I've translated below..

____

Dear Sir:
My name is Anselmo Spears Alamin, I am not professional guitarist, collector and scholar of ancient stringed instruments, and a friend of JAVIER ROJO SOLAR that instructs me to answer your letter.

SOLAR has several family members engaged in the construction of stringed musical instruments:

FERNANDO GONZALEZ SOLAR builder of violins that for some years held the post of Keeper of the quartet of Stradivarius of the Royal Palace in Madrid.

ANSELMO SOLAR GONZALEZ builder of guitars and Lauds bandurrias and constructor, to be sure of this guitar. This guitar had to be built in Madrid in the first workshop which took the guitar, on the street Cerro Garabito No. 11.
At present Anselmo Solar has 89 years, and because of his advanced age just built.
JAVIER ROJO SOLAR builder of guitars and vihuela Lauds directs you to whom this letter is currently 63 years, is considered one of the best builders of awards bandurrias and vihuela of Spain and Europe.
Their work is absolutely craft being rewarded last year as
MADRID master craftsman.

Therefore, the author of his guitar is ANSELMO SOLAR GONZALEZ and I regret not being able to send photos of his studio.
He sent pictures of instruments made by JAVIER ROJO and sutaller on the street Divine Shepherd No. 22 in Madrid.

Regards
Anselmo Spears

J Carr

Post by J Carr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi - I am a beginning guitar player who takes lessons with my ten year old daughter. We both play very inexpensive guitars. Recently I was working (as an architect) at a client's home and noticed an old guitar sitting neglected. I took a look and a photo of the label and it is definitely an exact match: a 1963 A. Solar Gonzales - even the signature is a perfect match for the one in the photo above. My question is, the owners probably have no idea about this history, and I'd like to offer them something for this guitar (which they have never played and has broken strings, etc, although well-preserved in its case. What is a fair price to offer? Any suggestions? (I, too, noticed immediately how loud it was when I strummed the remaining strings!)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:27 am

Hi J Carr,

As you've just joined us, could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Best wishes,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Ancelmo (Fernando) Soler Gonzalez was born in Sept 1, 1918 in Pravia, Asturias, Spain. He was self-taught, and began making
guitars in 1930, at the age of 12. However, by the time he was 20, he presented one of his instruments to a juried show at the Exposition de Artes, winning first prize, and a scholarship. Two years later he won the silver medal at the exposition in Oviedo, In 1943 he moved to Madrid, and went to work for Santos Hernandez. Hernandez died shortly thereafter, but he continued working for his widow until 1948 when he opened his own workshop on the Calle Rollo. In 1950 he moved his workshop to Calle Cerro Garabitas 11. From 1959 to 1963, Ancelmo employed Juan and Lorenzo Alvarez, each of whom went on to open their own workshops. Sometime in the 1970s he seem to have had a workshop at Calle Jabonerna 30, and then later on Calle Devino Pastor 24. He also trained his son Fernando as a luthier. He also earned a good reputation as a violin maker, and as late as 2007 was still in business.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

gansz

Post by gansz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Ivor Mairants wrote a paragraph regarding A. Solar Gonzalez in his book "My 50 fretting Years".

Cheers,

David
1863 James Ashborn, Spruce/Maple
1994 Dana Bourgeois, Spruce/Maple (steel)
2010 David LaPlante, Spruce/Maple

Nacio de Falla

Post by Nacio de Falla » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:03 pm

unfortunately mine died of a broken heart!! :cry:
i sold it in anticipation of a new negra being built and the luthier who was to build it decided
not to fulfill his end of the bargain......................oh well such is life! :?

i've learned one thing out of it at least.............deal with people you have past relations with or those with a very good reputation.

:sigaretta:

ya know it's not so much that it didn't happen. <i understand things go cookoo once in a while.),.............but that i didn't even get an apology or reason ????
jeeezzzz!

brian

Post by brian » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:00 pm

nacio wrote:unfortunately mine died of a broken heart!! :cry:
i sold it in anticipation of a new negra being built and the luthier who was to build it decided
not to fulfill his end of the bargain.........
.............oh well such is life! :?

i've learned one thing out of it at least.............deal with people you have past relations with or those with a very good reputation.

:sigaretta:

ya know it's not so much that it didn't happen. <i understand things go cookoo once in a while.),.............but that i didn't even get an apology or reason ????
jeeezzzz!
that's terrible!!
i suspect that the luthier isn't very good
to be acting in such a way.
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

carmenpage

Post by carmenpage » Sun May 09, 2010 9:50 pm

I decided to google my dad's name and I came across this forum. He is 91 years old now and he will be very pleased when we tell him about the interest that you have shown in his guitars. He has always been immensely proud of his work to which he has dedicated all his life and his guitars have always been his passion. Carmen Page

PaulD

Post by PaulD » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi - very excited by this topic. I was bought a new Anselmo Solar Gonzalez guitar in 1976 - it was new at the time, but was built in 1974. I didn't know anything about Anselmo until I came across this post. After music college I gravitated towards electric guitar and steel string acoustic, but thankfully didn't sell this beautiful instrument. It has a wonderfully balanced sound and a piano like bass end - I've just played it now and even wihout fingernails, it still has a wonderful rich tone.

Paul

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:09 am

carmenpage wrote:I decided to google my dad's name and I came across this forum. He is 91 years old now and he will be very pleased when we tell him about the interest that you have shown in his guitars. He has always been immensely proud of his work to which he has dedicated all his life and his guitars have always been his passion. Carmen Page
Hi Carmen, It's great to hear this, thanks for posting :)
Are you a guitarist yourself, and can we expect to hear more from you in the forum?
If so perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself here.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:11 am

PaulD wrote:Hi - very excited by this topic.....
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it a friendly place :) There are lots of resources here, so have a look around and feel free to join any of the discussions.
Please have a look at this welcome page to find out what you need to know about using the forum.
Please also consider introducing yourself here.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

alanh

Post by alanh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Hello it was great to see the interest in these guitars. I bought an Anselmo Solar Gonzales guitar in Madrid in about 1973, it was second-hand then, a couple of years old. And I was around twenty and making my first trip to Spain to look at guitars and buy sheet music... Since then I have changed country, house, family and employment many times, but that guitar has somehow survived all the changes and been a great friend. I am no expert but to my ear it still sounds pretty much the same as it did forty years back, or maybe better. So it was wonderful to hear, Carmen, that your father is still alive and do please tell him his work is still deeply appreciated, apparently by people all over the world! With best wishes, Alan
PS the label looks pretty much the same as the others!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulD

Post by PaulD » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:02 am

I'll try and post some pictures of my guitar in the next week or so - it's very similar looking to the guitar on page 2 of the thread, but the back view is not as ornate. I'm not sure what level of model it was, but it cost £260 (or possibly £240) in 1976.

I've told (too many!!) friends about this thread - particularly about the post by Aneslmo's son Carmen and to hear some of his history.

All the best
Paul

Return to “Luthiers”