A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
bossabob

Re: A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Post by bossabob » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 pm

I just found this discussion . I also have a Anselmo Solar Gonzalez. I bought it new while living in London, England in 1983. It was constructed at Jaboneria 30, Madrid in 1982 with Jacaranda back and sides. It is in very good condition. Here are some pictures.
IMG_1314 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BROB

Post by BROB » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello Classical Guitar,

I'm very pleased to see at long last there is information to be found about "A.Solar Gonzalez" - my guitar is a Flamenco Concert and, according to the label inside the guitar, was made in Madrid, Espana in 1961. I'm not sure what type of wood is on the top i.e. Cedar or Spruce, but I believe the back and sides are Brazilian Rosewood. I have been playing it for over 45 years and it still sounds beautiful. During this time it has unfortunately, taken a few knocks.

Can anyone in this Forum / Group please confirm any details about this guitar i.e. the history and the materials involved?

Many thanks,

Bruce

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Bruce, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here? :arrow: viewforum.php?f=28

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Hi, On the photo by jviss does this mean it is a guitar that was built for A Solar Gonzalez, like Contreras had other shops build his studio guitars? Thanks for any info.

Wayne S

Post by Wayne S » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi, I have just joined the forum as a result of finding information about guitars made by this fine Luthier.
I live in Australia and I own one of his instruments which I purchased in 1974. It was secondhand when I bought it through my then teacher Mr Don Andrews who had suggested I buy it as it was a fine instrument. It had originally belonged to a Mr Schumacher who had been the president of the Australian Classical Guitar Society.
The Guitar was made in 1960 in Madrid, the simple label reads;
" A.Solar Gonzalez"
Construccion de
GUITARRAS, BANDURRIAS Y LAUDES
Ano 1960
CERRO GARABITAS 11 MADRID

It has a very rich sound and is a powerful instrument. The string length is 658mm which is longer than normal and it is 52mm at the nut with string spacing of 8.5mm at the nut. The soundboard is Spruce and the back and sides are Rosewood. It is a little hard to play because of the long scale but it has a good response. Two years ago I restored it as there were a few worn and aged areas. It has been re-fretted and a small soundboard crack and some minor dings have been repaired. The French polish I gave it has a few more coats to go. I will post a few pictures when the project is complete.
It was great to read that this fine maker is still alive, I have most certainly enjoyed playing his creation and I am sure many people around the world have been given great pleasure listening to his guitars. He has certainly left a legacy for lovers of the Classical guitar. Cheers. Wayne S. :bravo:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Wayne, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi guys

I bought an A. Solar Gonzalez 1963 yesterday and love it. It has such a wonderful tone - very rich and (as everyone has commented) LOUD! Admittedly I have little experience of classical guitars (it is my first) but it stood out above all the other guitars I tried.

I will post some photographs soon, but the rosette is the same as another 1963 one already posted. Beneath the rosette is a label saying "specially constructed for Ivor Mairants Music Centre".

The machine heads look to be replaced....and I believe that the fretboard has been too (although I may well be mistaken). I would be interested to hear what the materials are, if people can ascertain that from photographs.

Cheers

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Hello!

WOW, I just re-registered after a couple of years on hiatus and I see the AS Gonzalez club has grown!!

My AS Gonzalez is the one from 1982 and the pictures are still on this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12267&start=16

Very nice to see all the interest and appreciation.

Nacio, sorry to hear you sold your flamenca blanca - I was going to offer to buy it from you :D

Skender, I have one of your CDs, it is wonderful!

A special thank you to Don Anselmo, for the joy and wonder he has gifted me with his amazing guitar.

Warmest regards to all,
Konstantin
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Clivey

Post by Clivey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi there fellow Gonzalez fans.
I also have a beautiful Gonzalez, made in 1974
I am a teacher and performer based in Ipswich, England.
Enjoyed reading all your comments and will post more anon.
Clivey

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Hello Clivey.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Clivey

Post by Clivey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Thank you , George for warm welcome.Such an outpouring of love for this extraordinary man and his phenomenal instruments.My A.S.Gonzalez ( God, I just love saying that ) has just been superbly restored and so beautiful. I am very new to computers, and will try and post more info and pics anon.Regards to all . If music be the food of love, play on.......

Wayne S

Post by Wayne S » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 am

Hi Clivey, welcome to the Gonzalez Fan Club and Delcamp forum.
It would be nice to see some pictures of your A.S.Gonzalez. Does it still sound great ?

I only wish I had bought my Guitar new instead of 2nd hand just to know how it first sounded when new.
I think it was already about 15 years old when I got it and it had a few marks and scratches.
I have just restored my 1960 A.S.Gonzalez Classical but have to apply another few coats of French Polish. I have put a couple of scratches on it over the last few month or so but I will post some Pictures when complete.
Cheers, Wayne S

Wayne S

Post by Wayne S » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:45 am

Does anybody have a Photo of Anselmo Gonzalez or maybe one of his workshops they could post ?

Clivey

Post by Clivey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:16 pm

G' day,Wayne. Yes,indeed it sounds incredible ---- ridiculous, I know, but sometimes I hardly dare play it.It has such a profound lyrical depth and beauty. I also have an old Manuel Rodriguez guitar,in itself a lovely old workhorse of an instrument.I use this for gigs ( on the rare occasions these occur ahem ).It's a bit knocked about now , but sounds great.I had a very discreet pick up fitted some years ago which is a massive help, in fact, I recorded a CD on it called Clive Live ( good , eh?)---- How can I get one to you all ? Anyway more anon re King Gonzalez. ps somewhere on this forum there is a post from Don Anselmo's daughter,Carmen I think it was.He was 91years old ----- if it is possible to locate her she might like to post a photo.Good luck and best regards,Wayne, and love to all.Keep in touch, MUCH MORE later Clivey .

Clivey

Post by Clivey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi there, bossabob, I hope I've got this computer to work, if not I'll try again. Just been viewing pics of your gorgeous Gonzalez. It has exactly the same beauty as mine,and indeed all those I have seen.After complete restoration, mine revealed some delicate purfling framing the soundtop (or table? is that the correct word?... Wayne, if you read this, help ) which is perfectly reflected in the rosette and other wonderfully subtle details. I will try and post pictures of these etc. Best wishes,Clive. ps just broke a nail aaaargh .

Return to “Luthiers”