A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Clivey

Re: A. Solar Gonzalez ???

Post by Clivey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 am

Oliver wrote:Hi guys

I bought an A. Solar Gonzalez 1963 yesterday and love it. It has such a wonderful tone - very rich and (as everyone has commented) LOUD! Admittedly I have little experience of classical guitars (it is my first) but it stood out above all the other guitars I tried.

I will post some photographs soon, but the rosette is the same as another 1963 one already posted. Beneath the rosette is a label saying "specially constructed for Ivor Mairants Music Centre".

The machine heads look to be replaced....and I believe that the fretboard has been too (although I may well be mistaken). I would be interested to hear what the materials are, if people can ascertain that from photographs.

Cheers
Oliver, you own a legendary instrument,as i'm privileged to say , do I . Hope this message works, regards , Clivey .

Clivey

Post by Clivey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 am

Hello Oliver ,not sure you received my post as I am new to computers so shall reiterate. You own a legendary instrument . I am privileged to own one too,they are extraordinary. The soundboard is probably cedar , back and sides rosewood and honduras mahogany , neck and fingerboard rosewood and ebony.These are only ideas but such is written on the receipt for my superb instrument.,Please consult colleagues and friends on this friends on this forum and , as they say, ENJOY..... ps my own beautiful instrument also has subtle inlays of sycamore and burnt maple, with ivory tuners and bone nut and saddle.No doubt illegal now, but who cares? Stuff'em --- It is as if playing a powerful dream.Kindest wishes to you Clivey .

bossabob

Post by bossabob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:57 am

Clivey
Thanks for the complements. I look forward to seeing your Anselmo.

Guitarista,

Your 1982 is almost identical to my 1980. The photos came out very well. Where did you buy yours? I bought mine new in 1982 in the Spanish Guitar Center, near Leicester Square in London.

Regards

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:49 am

bossabob wrote:Guitarista,

Your 1982 is almost identical to my 1980. The photos came out very well. Where did you buy yours? I bought mine new in 1982 in the Spanish Guitar Center, near Leicester Square in London.

Regards
Hey Bossabob,

Got mine used in 1987 from a guitar shop in Manhattan; unfortunately I don't know its history between 1982 and 1987. Is the back of yours also made from that old-growth multi-coloured brazilian rosewood?

Cheers mate.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

daweimer

Post by daweimer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:15 am

This is good to read. I have a 1972 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez that I'll be putting on the market soon. It's a beautiful instrument, and sounds great. I'm playing flamenco guitar almost exclusively now, and am getting a new flamenco guitar soon. So, it needs a more attentive owner.

carmenpage

Post by carmenpage » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 am

Hello, I am Carmen, Anselmo's daughter.
Just to let you kno that sadly my father died on the 18th of May at 94 years of age.
Treasure your beautiful guitars.
Regards

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:07 am

Hello Carmen,

I'm so sorry to hear of your father's death. Thank you for letting us know.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

skender

Post by skender » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:05 am

Hello,

So sorry for your loss.

I own two from 1970 and one from 1979.

Photos below.
Last edited by skender on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skender

Post by skender » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:46 am

My 1979 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez guitar
Anselmo Solar Gonzalez guitar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by skender on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

skender

Post by skender » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:57 am

This is one of my 1970 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez guitars. The Label is different than on my other two guitars, but underneath this label is one that is identical to my two other guitars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wlminex

Post by wlminex » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 am

I have a 1963 A. Solar Gonzales. Beautiful! . . . . .fantastically light and great sound! . . . almost plays itself (teehee!) . . . . just wish I were a more accomplished guitarista!

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:04 am

Hi wiminex. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your guitar. To satisfy our rules, could you please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

tyke

Post by tyke » Tue May 17, 2016 3:53 pm

This thread is a fascinating read!

I have an A. Solar Gonzalez guitar dated 1971. I bought it in the mid-70s, second-hand from the original owner (I think) who got it from the Spanish Guitar Centre in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK. He wanted a quick cash sale and offered it to me for £100!

I played it (not well) for a few years and then life took me away from the guitar until about a month ago. Now I'm much more appreciative of what I have - great sound, great looks and fabulous smell :)

I'm very pleased to be a member of the Gonzales club. Sad that he died, but his name will live on ...

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue May 17, 2016 4:30 pm

tyke wrote:This thread is a fascinating read!

I have an A. Solar Gonzalez guitar dated 1971. I bought it in the mid-70s, second-hand from the original owner (I think) who got it from the Spanish Guitar Centre in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK. He wanted a quick cash sale and offered it to me for £100!

I played it (not well) for a few years and then life took me away from the guitar until about a month ago. Now I'm much more appreciative of what I have - great sound, great looks and fabulous smell :)

I'm very pleased to be a member of the Gonzales club. Sad that he died, but his name will live on ...
Hi Tyke! Welcome to the Anselmo Solar Gonzalez club!! :-)
Maybe you could post pictures of your guitar and/or perhaps of the label? You can see mine toward the first pages of the thread - page 2 I think..

Cheers!
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

tyke

Post by tyke » Tue May 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Let's see if this works:

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/maxst ... sort=3&o=3

The gold label under the maker's label is for the Spanish Guitar Centre in Newcastle.

Return to “Luthiers”