A Dotras Cordoba

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
christozer

Re: A Dotras Cordoba

Post by christozer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi everyone, my first post. I have read this thread with interest as I have recently acqired one of these guitars, found it at a boot sale in poor condition but mostly cometic, no structual damage and I don't think it would not be a big job to restore it.
The lable says A. Dotras, Cordoba, Barcelona. It does not have any date on it though and it looks a lot older than 70s it looks and feels more like 50s or older.

I have been Googling but can find little information about it, if anyone has any links for it would be most appreciated.

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Hello, christozer. I hope you find some information here about your instrument...several knowledgeable members around.

Welcome to the forum! In order to benefit from - and also to contribute to - this great resource we invite you to tell us about yourself here.

Why not start by having a look at how the forum works here?

We are here to help...so enjoy your time with us. :)

Cheers,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

CPsocal

Post by CPsocal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 am

I too have a guitar made by A.Dotras Cordoba - Calle San Pablo 28, Barcelona. It was made in 1967.
My Father bought it while in the US Navy during the Vietnam War, in port in Barcelona. It is in good condition with the original vinyl strings.
Very curious to hear additional info regarding these guitars. Thanks! Craig - Southern California

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:41 am

Hi Craig, Welcome to Delcamp! Perhaps you could take the time to introduce yourself to the forum here and get a true Delcamp welcome. To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page.
It is too bad that the only other post in this thread was another welcome by a mod and a request for an introduction. :?
I hope you get a response to your post about this maker, Craig. :D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

alphasun

Post by alphasun » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 am

I am grateful to kpcleary, as I had planned to visit Cordoba some time to seek out the Dotras guitar maker!
I have one of these guitars, bought in a now defunct Dublin music shop for 48 Irish pounds ca. 1963, i.e. nearly 50 years ago. There was a reduction for a hairline crack in the varnish over the central join in the back. This didn't affect the sound, and apart from a battered front finish due to heavy use and one bit of damage that was repaired almost invisibly it still sounds great. I have replaced the machine heads once.The front has quite dense grain,so it's a good quality guitar, but perhaps the ones with fan bracing are a more expensive model.
I don't have it with me so can't inspect it, but I'm fairly sure the bracing is very simple, as my father, a violin maker, and I built a classical guitar some years ago and used it as a guide.
Incidentally, the front of the copy was built with less finely grained spruce (because it was our first guitar), and the difference in loudness is noticeable in the bass.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Hello Alphasun.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum. Is Barcelona nicer to visit than Cordoba?

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

BikerRay

Post by BikerRay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi. I just happened to do a search on my guitar and happened on this site. I purchased an ADC guitar while I was bumming around Spain in the summer of 1970. I bought the guitar for $50 (CDN) including a case, and still play it. Pine top, 2-piece mahogany back, ebony fretboard, nylon strings. Still fine after all these years, though the varnish is crazed.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi Ray. I hope you've changed the strings. :D

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George

JohnDrew2

Post by JohnDrew2 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:49 am

I own an A Dotros Cordoba that I purchased in Barcelona in the summer of 1965. At the time, I was living in Wilmslow, Cheshire and was on vacation with my family in Spain. The guitar is not as fine an instrument as yours--there's no true inlay around the sound hole or the binding. There are also only eighteen frets, nineteen on the B and E strings from a partial fret.

The guitar has held together quite well, with some minor work performed by a luthier around 2002. The body needs to be refinished, but as my luthier friend said, for him to restore it to its original French varnish finish would likely cost more than the guitar was worth and wouldn't improve its sound which is quite lovely.

(Here's a ling to the French varnish process by Luthier, Paul Jacobson - http://www.pjguitar.com/website/classic ... rnish.html)

I believe that this is going to be the finish you're seeking for your Cordoba.

Congratulations on the guitar. I still play mine and it is the only guitar that I've never considered selling, just because it was my first.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat May 04, 2013 7:41 am

Hi John.

Welcome to the forum. Could you please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Wandering around Barcelona in 1972; I stumbled upon a modest little music shop. Having recently heard the maestro himself, Andres Segovia, perform at the Salle Playell in Paris; I was moved to purchase an a. Dotras Cordoba guitar at this little shop. My Spanish is weak; but I did understand them to claim that their guitars were hand-made at that location. The particular guitar I purchased was cosmetically damaged, not a "pretty" instrument and not even quite the perfect shape (and the fretwork is rather crude; looks like it was done by an intern); but the extraordinary room-filling sound of this instrument was compelling, delightful, astonishing. I still have it and play it occasionally. I can't imagine that it's worth anything at all; but with the exception of the maestro's guitar, I've never heard it's equal. In my opinion, stradivarius is to violin as a. Dotras Cordoba is to guitar; but stradivarius was recognized in his lifetime; in 2013 I seem to be alone in my opinion of a. Dotras Cordoba. I do hope my decendants will continue play and appreciate this fine instrument for centuries to come.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Lee.

Welcome to the Forum.

Could you please introduce yourself here.
George

ross waters

Post by ross waters » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:35 am

I bought myself an A Dotras Cordoba guitar in Sydney Australia, way back in about 1964. It was my first classical nylon strung guitar, & I hadn't been playing more than a year or two (mostly folkie sort of stuff). It was quite a nice guitar, nothing brilliant but reasonable tune. Can't remember the price, but as I was just a schoolboy, I should imagine well under $100, & I sold it for a lot more than I paid for it, I recall! I don't remember it feeling like a mass-produced instrument, but as a solidly-made, well-finished guitar.

I currently own a Spanish guitar whose label reads "Creaciones DOCA" Venerable Agnesio,1 Valencia (8), which I bought 2nd hand in London, England, in 1978, for 50 pounds, I had it re-fretted, & as the harmonics were slightly out, had the bridge adjusted by a fraction of an inch. Its a lovely guitar, rich tone & a great neck & action, & I would appreciate any info on the luthier, as I doubt that this is a mass-produced instrument. Ross Waters

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 am

Hi Ross. Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself here.
George

bear

Post by bear » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:26 am

Have you written to Zaveletas? I sent them an email regarding an obscure maker and they sent me a lot of information.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Luthiers”