Does fossilized walrus ivory make subtle changes in tone?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
pogmoor

Re: Does fossilized walrus ivory make subtle changes in tone?

Post by pogmoor » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:52 am

John higgon wrote:I wonder if there is some 'magical thinking' going on here - "rare and weird materials must make better saddles than bone or Corian". I've used bone, Corian and buffalo horn. I found the buffalo horn to spongy, with the effect that it seemed to reduce the treble response. I really haven't seen much difference between Corian and bone. One advantage of Corian and other synthetic materials is that they are very consistent from piece to piece, unlike bone. Presumably the main factors of interest are hardness and weight, and we can make synthetic materials in various hardnesses and densities, therefore...? Having said all that, I once made a saddle out of dodo beak, and that turned out very well... :lol:
I think magical thinking is a good way of putting it. I used to own a Harald Petersen guitar that had a bone saddle which I once replaced with an identically sized aluminium saddle. It sounded just the same :shock:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:42 pm

I tried to get some acoustic measurements once comparing bone and polyethylene saddles, than which it woulld be difficult to find two things more different that would still 'work'. They did sound different to me, but I could not find any measurable differences. Perhaps with a better test setup... I can tell you that you'd need to budget a fair amount of time for that.

daverkb

Post by daverkb » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 am

Dear Hauser III 2014 ...

You will not be be disappointed! Malapanis 2015 spruce top has come in so very nicely since your last visit half a year ago. So nicely, I don't think I can ever sell it.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:47 am

daverkb wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 am
Dear Hauser III 2014 ...

You will not be be disappointed! Malapanis 2015 spruce top has come in so very nicely since your last visit half a year ago. So nicely, I don't think I can ever sell it.
Hi Daverkb,

That’s music to my ears. I’ll look forward to listening when I’m down for the Radford University Guitar weekend.

And the Hauser 2014 is sounding very nice, though with my shoulder injury hasn’t been getting good work outs.

JD
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Luthiers”