Professional guitarists: their guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Echi

Re: Professional guitarists: their guitars

Post by Echi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:50 am

I suppose we should consider just the main guitars attributed to a certain player or at least those used for concerts, stages etc.
I.e. My understanding is that Segovia didn't use the Yamaha GC series in such a way...
Again, players like Paco de Lucia used to play a main instrument for concerts and few other guitars when recording, even though he used to have many flamenco guitars at home (either gifts, or guitars for a sole domestic use). To mention all the instruments he owned could be deciving ...just my 2 cents obviously.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Updates now added.
Jack Douglas wrote: Thanks for putting this extensive list together!
The credit for that must go to former member Guitune, though he had to give it up 6 years ago as the updates had become too onerous. I agreed to step in at that point to deal with future updates rather than leave the thread to become abandoned and increasingly out of date, but without his knowledge and particular interest I am completely reliant on what members report, and unfortunately don't have the time to do any research to corroborate new entries.
Echi wrote:I suppose we should consider just the main guitars attributed to a certain player or at least those used for concerts, stages etc.
I.e. My understanding is that Segovia didn't use the Yamaha GC series in such a way...
Again, players like Paco de Lucia used to play a main instrument for concerts and few other guitars when recording, even though he used to have many flamenco guitars at home (either gifts, or guitars for a sole domestic use). To mention all the instruments he owned could be deciving ...just my 2 cents obviously.
Fair point. I'm not sure exactly what guitune's aim was, but it would probably make sense not to list every single guitar a professional had ever played, or been given, but only those actually bought and/or used seriously in public or for recordings. As I said, though, I will have to leave it to members to agree amongst themselves which are worth listing, and if anyone has second thoughts about one they have suggested, I can remove it.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Geoff,
Many thanks for carrying the torch. This is a great resource and I really appreciate the time and dedication you've invested in keeping this data up to date for all of us to use.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Echi wrote:I suppose we should consider just the main guitars attributed to a certain player or at least those used for concerts, stages etc.
Given Segovia's advisory role to Yamaha luthiers in developing the GC71, I thought it interesting to know that he played the GC70/70C/71 and chose a GC70C for his personal collection in 1983-1984 (source Yamaha). He also acquired a guitar from Richard E. Bruné in 1986 (source Sheldon Urlik). Did he ever perform on these instruments? Probably not and he was nearing the end of his concert career. However given his stature in the world of the classical guitar and his role in encouraging Hauser to develop Spanish style instruments, I think it significant that he chose to help Yamaha develop its guitars and subsequently acquired a Yamaha instrument.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

sosa6string

Post by sosa6string » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:20 am

UK guitarist Joanne Williams not to be confused with John plays a guitar by Australian luthier Steve Toscano.
As does Australian guitarist Leonard Grigoryan.
Fritz Ober 2006 - Spruce/RW
Daniel Friederich 1967 - Spruce
Jim Redgate Wave DT 2011
Cordoba Master Series Hauser - Spruce
Marcelo Barbero 1961

My wife thinks I have enough......... :S

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks, Carlos, both now added.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Andrea González Caballero, Spain
Frenando Mazza, Argentina
--John

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Swiss guitarist Antonio Malinconico based in Karlsruhe, Germany, plays an Antonio Marin Montero and has ordered a Sebastian Stenzel.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks, both now added.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm

The eminent German guitarist Wulfin Liese is missing. He plays the following instruments:

Torres, "La Leona"
Santos Hernandez
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks, now added.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 am

Thank you so much for this awesome and complete list! So useful to have available!

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:25 am

Tilman Hoppstock is listed with some "simple top" guitars (alongside his double top Dammann). Reads a bit weird. Shouldn't it be solid top instead?

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:25 am

GeoffB wrote:Thanks, now added.

Geoff
Sorry, Geoff, his name is Lieske, not Liese. k is missing. Thanks for a correction.

Michael

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am

OK, Michael, I've corrected the name. As for the "simple top" guitars, I think that was added before I took over, but you're probably right. I'll look into it.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Luthiers”