Hard west african ivory

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Andre B.

Hard west african ivory

Post by Andre B. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Was hoping someone could help me...
Where can i buy Hard Hest African Ivory saddle and bridge?

Chuck Morrison

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by Chuck Morrison » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:18 pm

When I first started building guitars in the mid 1970s Ivory was available and I did use some. I have not done so for many decades and I feel bad about having used what I did so long ago. IMHO any use of Ivory has ethical and legal implications that prompt me to suggest you not search for or use it. Perhaps I am being preachy or politically incorrect and others will disagree I'm sure, but that's the way I see it.

Cincy2
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:07 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by Cincy2 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Not trying to preach here, but I second Chuck's sentiment. How about fossilized mammoth tusk/bone? There is a lot of that for sale on the internet.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

Emil Krasich
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by Emil Krasich » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Maybe you would consider ivoroid as a substitute if you are hell bent on the look of ivory? It would be a lot cheaper, and you wouldn't be supporting poaching.

sesto
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by sesto » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Cincy2 wrote: How about fossilized mammoth tusk/bone? There is a lot of that for sale on the internet.

Cincy
You could try these bones. I found this skeleton in a derelict church near my town. Probably Longobards bones from VI or VII century.
ossa.jpg
S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:22 pm

You can get saddle and nut made of Hard West African Ivory at Bob Colosi, guitarsaddlesdotcom. He will provide you documentation that the ivory was harvested in the 1960's legally, and it's still legal to buy this lot of ivory, but only within the US. I has no affiliation with Bob Colosi, but was happy with his products in the past.

MikFik

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by MikFik » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:50 pm

You might try: commercial link removed; ivorybuyer was the site linked but results in a 404 error now.
I bought some ivory from them a few years back. Good stuff.

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:34 pm

bacsidoan wrote:You can get saddle and nut made of Hard West African Ivory at Bob Colosi, guitarsaddlesdotcom. He will provide you documentation that the ivory was harvested in the 1960's legally, and it's still legal to buy this lot of ivory, but only within the US. I has no affiliation with Bob Colosi, but was happy with his products in the past.
I note the previous post was in 2009 and I had a recent 2017 dealing with Bob Colosi and am extremely happy with the product he supplied and his excellent and personal service. While his Ivory was all legally harvested in the 60's, current law prevents him from selling any legal Ivory product outside of his own state, Georgia.

I also have no affiliation with Bob, but highly recommend him and his products. He's still active and going strong in 2017.
Hauser III 2014!

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5800
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by petermc61 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:You can get saddle and nut made of Hard West African Ivory at Bob Colosi, guitarsaddlesdotcom. He will provide you documentation that the ivory was harvested in the 1960's legally, and it's still legal to buy this lot of ivory, but only within the US. I has no affiliation with Bob Colosi, but was happy with his products in the past.
I note the previous post was in 2009 and I had a recent 2017 dealing with Bob Colosi and am extremely happy with the product he supplied and his excellent and personal service. While his Ivory was all legally harvested in the 60's, current law prevents him from selling any legal Ivory product outside of his own state, Georgia.

I also have no affiliation with Bob, but highly recommend him and his products. He's still active and going strong in 2017.
What did you buy Jack (for the Hauser) and what differences did you perceive?

Regards
Peter

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:55 am

petermc61 wrote:
Jack Douglas wrote:
bacsidoan wrote:You can get saddle and nut made of Hard West African Ivory at Bob Colosi, guitarsaddlesdotcom. He will provide you documentation that the ivory was harvested in the 1960's legally, and it's still legal to buy this lot of ivory, but only within the US. I has no affiliation with Bob Colosi, but was happy with his products in the past.
I note the previous post was in 2009 and I had a recent 2017 dealing with Bob Colosi and am extremely happy with the product he supplied and his excellent and personal service. While his Ivory was all legally harvested in the 60's, current law prevents him from selling any legal Ivory product outside of his own state, Georgia.

I also have no affiliation with Bob, but highly recommend him and his products. He's still active and going strong in 2017.
What did you buy Jack (for the Hauser) and what differences did you perceive?

Regards
Peter
PM sent
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:04 am

To my ear the Hard West African Ivory produces a clear , concise, pure tone without overtones. I prefer it to bone or Mammoth Tusk. I have not tried Walrus, but a friend of mine swears by it.
To be very clear, I did the research and Bob's HWAI was legally acquired in the 60's.
And to repeat. It must be shipped within the state of Georgia!
I now have a hard time putting my guitar down!!
Hauser III 2014!

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 am

In my younger years, I bought a few West African Ivory saddles from Mr. Colosi. I fully concur that his stuff was genuine and legal before the blanket ban. Yet, I found out that just like bone, ivory was a living thing with a lot of variation in sonic quality. I actually made two WAI saddles with identical dimensions for the same guitar, and found out that one was superb and the other one was junk, even though they looked equally beautiful and polished like glass. So be prepared for possible disappointment if you want to try that stuff.

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:40 am

bacsidoan wrote:In my younger years, I bought a few West African Ivory saddles from Mr. Colosi. I fully concur that his stuff was genuine and legal before the blanket ban. Yet, I found out that just like bone, ivory was a living thing with a lot of variation in sonic quality. I actually made two WAI saddles with identical dimensions for the same guitar, and found out that one was superb and the other one was junk, even though they looked equally beautiful and polished like glass. So be prepared for possible disappointment if you want to try that stuff.
Mine is superb! Thankfully, the first one out of the block was a keeper. I have tried Mammoth Tusk in the past and experienced disappointment with one.
I'll leave well enough alone!!
JD
Hauser III 2014!

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5800
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by petermc61 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:30 am

Is there anybody on the forum in Georgia who would be happy to mail me a saddle (at my cost, of course)?

John higgon
Amateur luthier
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Hard west african ivory

Post by John higgon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 am

petermc61 wrote:Is there anybody on the forum in Georgia who would be happy to mail me a saddle (at my cost, of course)?
Wouldn't they then be involved in the illegal supply of Ivory? Why is it that material from exotic / endangered / extinct animals sounds so much better than other materials, I wonder?

Return to “Luthiers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Jose Marques, Philipp Lerche, Tim522 and 42 guests